Rumble Strip noise in 4wd FT in 03 Liberty Renegade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gjeff80

Reaction score
I just finished swapping the ****** out and will test drive it tomorrow once Amazon delivers the ATF. Imo kniwcit was something with the torque converter because mine started the sound only when in 4wd. then I flushed the ****** and put some shudder fix in and it stopped altogether for a week. then slowly came back. Now it has started doing it in 2wd. I was explained that the reason it does it more often in 4wd is because their is more strain on the torque converter when going in 4WD.

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it in 4WD Full today b/c of the nor'Easter. Same symptoms, rumble strip noise when I was between 40-45 and ~1.5k RPM when it drops.

BUT, halfway to work, I stopped for coffee and tried something. I turned OD off. No noise, even on a stretch of road that was caught on video making the noise. So it seems tied to 4WD and OD.

One thing I haven't eliminated from the equation is ATF. When I brought it to the mechanic on Monday, the guy pulled the plug on the rear thing and stuck his finger in and the fluid was very clean, so he speculated it was changed recently. I'm wondering if the dealership did it, and specifically if they used the proper ATF+4 or just regular ****** fluid. I know ATF+4 is tough to find in gallons from my Dodge Ram. Would using the wrong fluid cause any problems like this? Anyway to easily tell if they used the wrong fluid w/o sending it for some kind of testing?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Turning the OD off proves it's the TC.

What color is the fluid? Should be red/pink. I'd think you'd have other issues with it shifting besides just the TC locking. Mine still had this issue with regular ATF+4 changes.