RIP to my RLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So last night it finally happened, the inevitable instance that is the death of a 42RLE. Was about 15 miles from the house, heading up north for opening weekend of gun deer season here in Wisconsin. I was turning onto the last road before the interstate and on the 1-2 shift she had enough. Luckily i was able to limp her all the way back home in first gear, at about 15 mph. Pretty sure the clutch packs went out. Though it could be a solenoid as well, the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts had started to get a little clunky. I guess this will just bump up my timeline for the engine swap.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My TC failed at 150k miles, took the trans out with it. Not a very long lived ******...

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So last night it finally happened, the inevitable instance that is the death of a 42RLE. Was about 15 miles from the house, heading up north for opening weekend of gun deer season here in Wisconsin. I was turning onto the last road before the interstate and on the 1-2 shift she had enough. Luckily i was able to limp her all the way back home in first gear, at about 15 mph. Pretty sure the clutch packs went out. Though it could be a solenoid as well, the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts had started to get a little clunky. I guess this will just bump up my timeline for the engine swap.

Bummer! How many miles on yours?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on my '05 blew up at 76,000 miles. They had it replaced with a used trans, which blew at 79,000 miles because the shop that did the work for them didn't properly clean the trans cooler (or replace it). That's how I ended up with it.

I replaced the trans in my back yard with a used, known-good one from an auto recycler in MI - indoor storage - that had a small warranty. It's still good at 127,000 miles (knock on wood).

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Care to elaborate about the engine swap? Upgrading or just putting in a replacement?

I really like those Cummins R2.8, but it'd be easier to buy a TJ and use the kit built for that than to shoehorn it into the KJ. I've been wanting to build up a clone of Fred's (from dirt every day) "tubesock" TJ. The Cummins really brings the capability up a notch.

Joenavy85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
192219 miles.

The engine swap details are in my profile signature. Was originally planning to get everything built up and ready to install before getting another vehicle to drive while performing the work. This changes the plans a little bit, easier on the build aspect, tougher on the budget.