Replacing side mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr. Towed

Reaction score
I need to replace the side mirrors on my 06. Hopefully I can get by just replacing the glass. I was looking at Rock Auto. They have glass with no mount. Does that mean that there's no way to attach it to the mirror housing?

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you would have to glue those onto the backing plate. Which means you'd have to remove the old backing plate (with glass) from the mirror housing, find a way to remove the old mirror glass from it, and glue the new glass on.

I don't know how difficult it is to separate the glass from the backing plate, but getting the backing plate out of the mirror housing can be a real pain. It's held in place by a bunch of clips, which often just won't budge, or will break off. If that happens, the mirror might not properly move anymore.

I'd advise you to spend a couple of bucks more, and get the complete mirror assemblies.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be able to get most of the old mirror off the old backing.
The replacement mirror glass should come with some 3M double sided tape.
This is based off my experience with a town and country.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the side mirrors on my 06. Hopefully I can get by just replacing the glass. I was looking at Rock Auto. They have glass with no mount. Does that mean that there's no way to attach it to the mirror housing?
Don't get Rock Auto Glass. It's completely incorrect for mounting. You have to go OEM. I got a full mirror from a junkyard and pulled the glass from it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get Rock Auto Glass. It's completely incorrect for mounting. You have to go OEM. I got a full mirror from a junkyard and pulled the glass from it.
Edit: unless it's just the glass that broke. I needed the mounting piece too.

Latest posts

Members online