Repairing a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ragtop69

Reaction score
My daughter-in-law has an '04 Jeep Liberty which she managed to crash. The damage was relatively mild, with the right side fender flare breaking off and with damage to the front bumper plastic cover. They want to sell the Jeep as is because she has gotten a new car, but I'm trying to convince them that the replacement of those parts will increase the sales price considerably over their cost. My son is handy with automotive tools and the replacement effort doesn't look that daunting. The Jeep has 204K miles on it and the air conditioning isn't working. They say they will take $1,000 for it just to get it out of their driveway. Should they repair the thing or just sell it to the highest bidder?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.
At a $1000 to get er gone... I'm sure someone here would buy it & fix er up.
Would be nice to see some posted photos of the KJ overall & the damage.
Would give us a better scope of the actual work ahead.
Who knows if one of our forum members may have a front bumper, cause they upgraded to an ARB.
Otherwise you will be wanting to source parts form a Junk yard, as new is $.
Probably paint work will be involved as well.

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends how much time they want to put into it. In their case let them just sell it and be done with it. Paying a body shop $2k to maybe sell it for $3k isnt worth the effort either. For a minimum wage earning teenager with the time and inclination to fix it with salvage parts it is absolutely worth it. For a doctor to waste his time fixing an old jeep its not worth it. Depends on their situation.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's just the flare and bumper cover, and they're the black textured, those 2 can be had for roughly $150 new for aftermarket.

Check here: Discount Body Parts

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, when I crashed my KJ into a guardrail and destroyed the right front fender flare, bumper cover, washer tank, foglight and put a hole in the tire, total repair billed to insurance was right around $2400. That was parts, labor and paint; I have body colored flares and bumper.

Parts alone were roughly $1500.

If you had the inclination, just buy it from them for the $1k, fix it yourself and sell it for $3k. Or just let them do what they want with her Jeep.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a place called Parts Hotlines to find my daughter's exact jeep one state over (in KY) and ordered a painted, matched replacement grill for $75. Bumper covers are cheap.

This KJ's full front end was intact. The guys there had already sole the engine and ******.

There are parts out there.

My AC was out. Compressor was leaking. Got a kit and used loaner kit from Autozone. I had cold air for less than $300.

I would not do it to sell for more, but I would do it if you just want a good vehicle around for a reasonable amount of $$.