Oh man! I'm getting tired of this!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, Working on my KJ is no longer fun, it's just work. Second, Mopar is really ticking me off.

Changed the "Life-time" fuel filter. Total PITA. By the way, it's a small crappy filter... and it costs ~$100! Oh, & there seems to be a rumor that it has a built in fuel pressure regulator, which might justify it's outrageous price, but it is only rumor (on the 2003, anyway). It's just a tiny crappy paper filter in a plastic container, & three fuel lines with proprietary connectors. total & complete rip off. Oh & despite the marketing wizards propaganda, should be changed every 25-30K miles.

I don't know how many others have come across this issue, but Mopar has been introducing "new" replacement parts, superceding "old" parts. The problem is, the only real difference is apparently the part number & the price, which jumps up drastically! A fuel pump would have cost only $165 a few weeks ago, now costs $250. a new LCA jumped up $200. what gives!

I also own a 1994 BWM 740i, It's almost 15 years old, from Germany, & cost the PO $70,000 brand new, as much as a decent house at the time. The repairs & upkeep on that car are now far less then my KJ which only ran about $23,000 new!

Despite all the work & money I've put into it, I'm thinking it may have to go soon.:mad:

Last edited:

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 1976 Monza with a fuel filter issue. Maybe this will work with a KJ. I had to remove the stock filter and put in a universal one. Is it possible to just remove the fuel filter and put a different filter in the fuel line between the tank and engine?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel filter for the KJ does have a intergrated pressure regulater,hence the 3rd line for it,that is the return line from the regulater.There is not much to a regulator,mostly just a cheack ball and a spring.Same filter from '02-'07.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MOPAR prices have always been ridiculous, IMHO. And they NEVER have the part you need in stock.

At least the KJ HAS a fuel filter. My wife's 2006 Trailblazer doesn't even have one. Apparently GM didn't think it was necessary to filter the fuel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
everyone trying to find some excuse to ditch the Liberty. Funny really when you have to do regular maintanance on any vehicle but some complain Oh well

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel filter for the KJ does have a intergrated pressure regulater,hence the 3rd line for it,that is the return line from the regulater.There is not much to a regulator,mostly just a cheack ball and a spring.Same filter from '02-'07.

Here's the "discription" form the Mopar 2003 service manual (p.14-6):
"The fuel pressure regulator & fuel filter are not combined on this vehicle."

On Page 14-13, there is a description of the Fuel pressure regulator:
"The fuel pressure regulator is located on the bottom of the upper section of the fuel pump module. The fuel filter is not combined into the pressure regulator on this vehicle"

I used the bold type because that is how it appears in the manual, those three words in bold.

I don't know if the return line back to the tank is is an emissions or an OBDII thing, but it has nothing to do with a regulator. I cut the thing open, there is nothing but air, dirt & a puny little filter... with no diaphragms, nothing.

I'm changing the pump today, & the replacement pump($65 used 47,000miles) has the regulator on the upper section. It is small, but is nearly same size as the filter.

Like I said, this is a 2003 model, I do not know what any other model has going on.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MOPAR prices have always been ridiculous, IMHO. And they NEVER have the part you need in stock.

At least the KJ HAS a fuel filter. My wife's 2006 Trailblazer doesn't even have one. Apparently GM didn't think it was necessary to filter the fuel.

Judging by the dust bunnies in my filter, you are in for a treat!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you replacing the pump?

Good thing you dont own a toyota! Weve had more problems from that corolla than any Jeep. :rolleyes:

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everyone trying to find some excuse to ditch the Liberty. Funny really when you have to do regular maintanance on any vehicle but some complain Oh well

Well, when my BMW takes 2 Mahle fuel filters, both the size of 40 oz beer cans & have some substantial weight to them because there is a decent amount of filter medium inside them, & I can buy them for $14.00 a piece, & the hardest thing about changing them is jacking up the car...:mad:

Like I said, this is becoming a common theme on the KJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see..

Since youre on the subject of BMW's, old GF I use to date drove a Z3. Rock flew up and hit the regulator that happened to be positioned right in the middle of the car. They didnt see if right off the bat and drove the car down the road leaking gas. Its possible that anything could of ignited the gas and killed them but hey, at least it was easy to get to. If I remember correctly that part was well over $200 too.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but other than that freak occurrence, typically you don't have to change a regulator. A Fuel Filter should be changed every 30,000 miles... especially this one.

I can tell the story about the '96 Neon I had that developed a crack at the proprietary plastic couplings that connect the filter to the fuel lines & also gushed gas as I flew down the interstate. Anecdotal things happen, but that's not my point.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the "discription" form the Mopar 2003 service manual (p.14-6):
"The fuel pressure regulator & fuel filter are not combined on this vehicle."

On Page 14-13, there is a description of the Fuel pressure regulator:
"The fuel pressure regulator is located on the bottom of the upper section of the fuel pump module. The fuel filter is not combined into the pressure regulator on this vehicle"

I used the bold type because that is how it appears in the manual, those three words in bold.

I don't know if the return line back to the tank is is an emissions or an OBDII thing, but it has nothing to do with a regulator. I cut the thing open, there is nothing but air, dirt & a puny little filter... with no diaphragms, nothing.

I'm changing the pump today, & the replacement pump($65 used 47,000miles) has the regulator on the upper section. It is small, but is nearly same size as the filter.

Like I said, this is a 2003 model, I do not know what any other model has going on.
Yes the main pressure regulatetor is on the pump,the fuel filter in the KJ has it's own regulator,it's not the main regulator but it still has one in it.Like I said before that is why the filter has 3 lines instead of 2.The 3rd line is the return line from the regulator in the filter.I was trained to work on KJ's from Jeep since I was working at a dealer(GM and Jeep dealer) when the KJ came out and we all had to take classes on specific procedures and new features that was part of it.

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey can you do me a HUGE favor and get me the filter part #... my dealer says the part does not exist
(PM me)

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thank you for a part number...

But now that info (04+ = nonservicable) conflicts w/ what TJKJ said on page one

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
First, Working on my KJ is no longer fun, it's just work. Second, Mopar is really ticking me off.

Changed the "Life-time" fuel filter. Total PITA. By the way, it's a small crappy filter... and it costs ~$100! Oh, & there seems to be a rumor that it has a built in fuel pressure regulator, which might justify it's outrageous price, but it is only rumor (on the 2003, anyway). It's just a tiny crappy paper filter in a plastic container, & three fuel lines with proprietary connectors. total & complete rip off. Oh & despite the marketing wizards propaganda, should be changed every 25-30K miles.

I don't know how many others have come across this issue, but Mopar has been introducing "new" replacement parts, superceding "old" parts. The problem is, the only real difference is apparently the part number & the price, which jumps up drastically! A fuel pump would have cost only $165 a few weeks ago, now costs $250. a new LCA jumped up $200. what gives!

I also own a 1994 BWM 740i, It's almost 15 years old, from Germany, & cost the PO $70,000 brand new, as much as a decent house at the time. The repairs & upkeep on that car are now far less then my KJ which only ran about $23,000 new!

Despite all the work & money I've put into it, I'm thinking it may have to go soon.:mad:

kjpilot........all prices of everything are way up along with the price of gas. And some things are just a PIA to fix in ANY vehicle. Hang in there and don't sell it and leave us. You will be missed by all.

Dave