Major problem shifting from 4WD to 2WD - any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onolds

Reaction score
Transfer case shift question

I am replacing the TC on Grand daughters 2002 liberty. The TC was not able to shift to 2H. Turned out the shift cable was all crammed and bent inside the shifter. I was suspicious of how hard the Tc lever goes from one detent to another.
I picked up a used supposedly excellent TC and it is installed . I tried to shift the TC with a good shifter cable and it wlll not shift to 2H from N. When on the bench the lever needed a larger channel lock pliers to shift through the detents.
The jeep is up on engine stands and I haven't started it yet. I am hoping the situation will change when I get back on ground. That stiff shifting lever has me concerned but maybe running the jeep on ground will answer some questions.

LostChord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ideas to contribute, but stopped in to say you are one awesome grandfather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say to try and shift the jeep going a few MPH and see if you can shift it then and if not try doing the same but shift the jeeps transmission shifter into neutral.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am replacing the TC on Grand daughters 2002 liberty. The TC was not able to shift to 2H. Turned out the shift cable was all crammed and bent inside the shifter. I was suspicious of how hard the Tc lever goes from one detent to another.
I picked up a used supposedly excellent TC and it is installed . I tried to shift the TC with a good shifter cable and it wlll not shift to 2H from N. When on the bench the lever needed a larger channel lock pliers to shift through the detents.
The jeep is up on engine stands and I haven't started it yet. I am hoping the situation will change when I get back on ground. That stiff shifting lever has me concerned but maybe running the jeep on ground will answer some questions.

I second the comment about you being an awesome grandpa - that is so cool! :waytogo:

When trying to go into N from 2WD are you pushing the shift lever to the right? In other words, when you pull it up until it stops (which will put it in either Part Time 4WD or Full Time 4WD depending on the transfer case), you must push the lever to the right to put it in Neutral. Once the lever is to the right and it's in Neutral you can pull it further up to put it in 4WD Lo.

Sorry if this seems elementary but just wanting to cover the easy bases before tackling something more difficult. Seems odd that a new TC would give the same symptoms as the old one.

Bob

04DEKJ

Reaction score
Powerbrake it and if the tires light up, it's in 2wd:)
Haha that’s what I do with mine. It doesn’t like shifting between 2hi 4ft and 4pt. It seems reversing works but the tires on the passenger side are 2psi less just cuz I’ve been lazy and haven’t aired them up. Didn’t know that would cause that issue. I also was told that it could be a bushing on my transfer case linkage. Haven’t crawled under there to check yet though.