Main Engine Block Ground Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShowMe Cherokee

Reaction score
On my daughter's 2010 KK 3.7, I am trying to pull my main battery wiring harness because the battery to starter cable is bad, and I figured I would upgrade the whole thing since I essentially have to remove the harness to replace that cable. So essentially the big three upgrade but probably 7 instead from JeepCables.
I have everything removed except the G100 ground that is under the engine and behind the oil filter. How the f**k are you supposed to get that bastard off? I can barely see half the nut if I snake a light down there, but not sure how to get to it with a socket. Do I have to remove the oil filter? Will I be able to see it from under the front then? I can barely reach it by feel from the top by following it from the harness but have no idea how to get a tool on it. It almost seems like you have to lift the engine partway out to reach it.
I would really like to actually remove it, but I may settle for cutting it and just bolting the new one somewhere else on the engine. Any advice from someone that has done this would be very appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

ShowMe Cherokee

Reaction score
Followup:

I finally got the nut off. For anyone needing to do it, this is how I accomplished it.

I had already removed the battery holder since it made removing the rest of the harness easier. With that out of the way, I could barely see the nut if I fished a light down there. I ended up using 3 feet of extensions and a mid-length 15mm socket (because it is on a stud of course, so no short socket) on a u-joint. I don't think a deep socket will fit. I did have to remove the little 10mm bolt that holds the harness retainer to the side of the engine, because that was blocking my line of site. Sorry for the crappy phone pics, but hopefully gives you an idea of how to get to it. As you can see it is right behind the oil filter, whatever idiot put it there should be shot. I'm not sure if I will be able to get the new cable back on there, so I may move it to another point on the block.

In any case, if this helps someone in the future, then I will be glad I went to the trouble.

AFT2008KK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d bet it was thought of by the same “engineers” that decided on the oil filter location. Thanks for the tips. Best of luck on the project. KKeep us updated.