Maiden Voyage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that my Liberty has a lift installed and new tires it was time to use it for what I bought it for...checking and maintaining our dirt bike trials. We have about 900 leased acres of hilly thick woods terrain with over 40 miles of trails. All of the property has fire roads but several are very much 4WD only. I use the roads to get to single track trails to clear fallen trees and to build new trial. I carry chain saws and shovels and machetes so having a vehicle that can get back there is really helpful. Usually on Friday afternoons I go and check trails for the weekend riders. Its been wet so I went out today the give a report. Its the first time I took my Liberty. I really just went to have a cursory look but once there I decided to ride across the whole property including one tricky creek crossing and the most difficult hill out there for a 4 wheel vehicle. The creek crossing is not especially difficult except for the approach angle...it steep and the transition to the other bank is steep. The Liberty never scrapped or even started to hang up and it was as easy as driving across the creek. Next was the hill and I have a difficult time with my Cherokee getting up it on occasion. When its really wet nothing will go up it not even an atv and it really ******* a dirt bike without hammering it at the bottom. To make it worse just after the steepest part you have to turn left and drive across a ridge still climbing. I usually use a lot of momentum at the bottom and did today...but I climbed it with ease also...traction was good today so conditions were not bad. Next is a set of tight switch backs that make you glad you have a short vehicle. That also was easy to negotiate. I don't even have high bumpers or lockers and I am impressed with the off road ability of the Liberty. Granted it was dry and traction was good so open diffs were optimal.

Last edited: