LED Headlight Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJWildman

Reaction score
I retrofitted some LED's in my XJ headlights (they ARE stamped SAE) and did not have problems with the snow blocking them here in NW Ohio/SE Michigan last winter. We had the snowiest winter on record. Although the XJ does not have the plastic lens in front of the light.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED's are only legal for brake lights/turn signals, running lights, and day time running lights. Head lights are Halogen or HID as a factory option not after market. I think in technicality the same in truth applies for LED bulbs or tail light units in full unless its factory its not legal on LED's. Sort of like how a current US law prevents Audi's new Dynamic Headlights from being legal on the US spec models, that there must be separate circuits for low and high beam headlights.

the JW Speaker LED's are also DOT legal. They put them on Harley's from the factory as an added option as well. I beleive JW Speaker and Truck-Lite are the only 2 that are DOT legal. I am not sure if the new Quadratec ones are or if they are for offroad use only.

Aside from a few super cars and high end Audi's, I don't think you will find any consumer affordable cars that come with them factory though. I could be way wrong on that as well though. If so, it's not very common that's for sure.

Last edited: