knocking on heavens door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrandonTalia

Reaction score
my poor jenny(in forest gump voice) engine started knocking the other day at first it was just when I was accelerating now she does it when idling and then the other day while driving to a repair shop she stalled no noise or anything just died had her towed home because nothing i did would get her to start . the engine would get half a revolution and stop and wouldn't turn over anymore. after getting her home I decided on pulling the spark plugs that didn't work but after i also pulled the serpentine belt off then trying to start it. she finally got more than half a turn put everything back together and she started back up but now the knock is even worse. well anyways i'm thinking that i need new rod bearings and crankshaft does anyone know the best place i can get heavy duty rod bearing and a heavy duty crankshaft. something that I can push off-road ect and won't wear out so easily i take her for a mud bath regularly and just put some new all-terrain tires on her (Argh)

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a crank kit from Rock Auto in my 02 after I spun a bearing. Your description sounds just like mine. If a rod(s) was knocking you'll want to replace said rod(s) too. It probably pounded itself out of round. I could tell mine was cylinder 1 and 2 based on the scoring when I took it apart. I put it all back together and it was really good but found a very low mileage 05 and moved on to it after donating the 02. The crank kit was very convenient even though I probably could have had my OE crank machined. It wasn't that bad.

BrandonTalia

Reaction score
did you pull the engine yourself or did you have a mechanic do it if you did it yourself how hard was it and what should i watch out for when doing it? im planning on doing it myself as I dont trust mechanics very much and im cheap why pay someone when i can learn something new and do it for cheaper. lol

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did it myself, and I mean all alone. Need to make some friends I guess...

Like Renegade04 said, the key is to keep track of everything. Lots of sandwich bags. I have an extra vehicle to drive so I could take my time.

Gave me an excuse to get a few more tools and stuff too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.