Jeep won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guod

Reaction score
While in Reno my daughter was using my jeep and experienced the following problem. She came home for lunch and when it was time to leave she started the jeep then realized she forgot something in the house, she then turned off the jeep got her stuff and then the jeep would not start again. She explained this problem over the phone and my first thought was the battery died. When I got home I jumped started the jeep and the only way it stayed running is if I stayed on the gas once I released the pressure the jeep would die. Now I am thinking that it might be the fuel pump or the fuel filter, however, once I pulled the key out of the ignition all the inside light were going haywire so now I’m thinking that there might be an electrical problem? Any thoughts?

jordan3757

Reaction score
Check the battery terminals and cables... be sure they're not corroded and fully tightened. I had a semi-loose positive battery cable once and it did crazy things to the Liberty -- even made it die while driving.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yup, check the terminals first.

If the terminals are fine

Replace the battery. Problem solved. This isn't the first time this issue has popped up.

guod

Reaction score
I checked the terminals and they are fine, I will replace the battery tonight, however, that does not explain the fuel thing. I can jump start as long as I keep my foot on the gas once I release the gas pedal then jeep dies. I don’t see how this can be related to the battery

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I checked the terminals and they are fine, I will replace the battery tonight, however, that does not explain the fuel thing. I can jump start as long as I keep my foot on the gas once I release the gas pedal then jeep dies. I don’t see how this can be related to the battery

That's not a fuel problem... it's an electrical problem. There's not enough voltage flowing through the system to keep everything running correctly, when the engine is running at a higher speed, the alternator creates more voltage. The Liberty's computer does NOT like low voltage at all, and the battery being dead causes this.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35944&highlight=dead+battery

Last edited:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds too simple, but I would also agree that there is a strong possibility it is the battery. I had symptoms very similar to that in my Jeep while on a road trip in northern California. It started, but then died quickly while idling. Jumped it, replaced the battery, and it was good as new. Let us know if that does not work, since there is always the possibility that it's a fuel system issue, but may as well troubleshoot the easiest stuff first.

guod

Reaction score
Okay, I will replace the battery tonight and report back. Thanks so much for your help.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it must be a bad battery if it started one sec then wouldnt the next second. If it was just a battery needing charged it wouldnt of started it in the first place.

most auto part stores will charge and test the battery if you like.

guod

Reaction score
Yep it was the battery, took it into the local auto store and they told me it was only pulling 17 cranking amps SB about 630. Replaced the battery and now everything is working perfectly. Thanks so much for everyone advise and help.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yep it was the battery, took it into the local auto store and they told me it was only pulling 17 cranking amps SB about 630. Replaced the battery and now everything is working perfectly. Thanks so much for everyone advise and help.

Told ya. :p

guod

Reaction score
You the man!!! thanks so much I can sleep easier knowing my Daughter won't be broke down on the side of the road somewhere.

Know anything about a pontiac Grand Am 2001? Wife's car having a problem with ETS (enhanced tracking system)

jordan3757

Reaction score
Know anything about a pontiac Grand Am 2001? Wife's car having a problem with ETS (enhanced tracking system)

That's not really us.... but just be glad you didn't have to pay the $37.50 diagnostic fee I did to the dealership when I had this problem and thought it would be a warranty issue :mad: Glad you got it fixed!

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it ended up being an easy and inexpensive fix. As for the Pontiac, sorry, not too many experts on those around here. :p

guod

Reaction score
out of the blue the ETS light came on and would not go off, she got scared pulled over and called me. By the time I got there i was i hit the button and it went off. Only happened 1 more time, not sure if there's some kind of sensor that's going bad? Any thoughts?

2003KJ

Reaction score
out of the blue the ETS light came on and would not go off, she got scared pulled over and called me. By the time I got there i was i hit the button and it went off. Only happened 1 more time, not sure if there's some kind of sensor that's going bad? Any thoughts?

possibly.....i'm not terribly familiar with traction control but it does kinda sound like a sensor deal. I take it that it was not driving funny or anything?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
possibly.....i'm not terribly familiar with traction control but it does kinda sound like a sensor deal. I take it that it was not driving funny or anything?

Sounds like a sensor as you suspect Tim. I think they are in the hub assembly (or part of the hub assembly) connected to the brakes to apply brakeing to the slipping wheel. In which case you would need to replace the whole assembly. Maybe a good local mechanic can diagnose and give a price. (probably an "ouch" if you need to replace the whole assembly because the sensor is built in).

Dave

guod

Reaction score
Nah my wife was driving and I don’t think she realizes that the car can go faster than the posted speed limit.

Yep you are right the sensor is in the hub which I was afraid of, guess it’s time to take her in.