Initial thoughts on new '02 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up my new-to-me '02 Liberty on Thursday. It was a mix of excitement about getting a new vehicle and a bit of buyers remorse over buying a 15 year old car with 96,000 miles (what was I thinking???). It will not be a daily driver. I mainly got it because I've never had a true four wheel drive vehicle. My other car is a '16 Equinox with AWD.

I probably over paid for the car but it came with a 3 month/4500 mile powertrain warranty. Picture a maroon Liberty with the faded grey bumpers and fenders. It wasn't until I spent a little more time in the car that I realized that it had been a smokers car. I'll hit the seats and carpets with Fabreeze tomorrow when the sun is out and open all the windows. My wife's going to get me some nice seat covers for Christmas that will help liven up the inside. I'll pick up some rubber floor mats.

The oil doesn't look too dirty so it was probably changed by the dealer. I'll change it again in the next week or two so I know for sure whats going on there. The trans fluid looks pink on the stick and didn't smell burnt to me. Carfax only showed one service done at 2400 miles, so I have no idea if any of the important stuff has been done. I guess I should get my local mechanic to change all the fluids and any associated filters. Maybe check the plugs too. The dealer put five new tires on but they are a cheap unknown brand. I'll dump a fuel system cleaner in the tank when I do my first fill up.

Until I started reading the owners manual, I didn't realize that the car was rear wheel drive when in 2H. I assumed that like most all cars since the late 70s or early 80s it was front wheel drive.

The car is growing on me and my wife drove it a few miles yesterday and really liked it. That surprised me. I'm looking forward to driving it some more and seeing if I can get the highway MPGs up above the 19 or 20 that were estimated. It looks to be a fun vehicle.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wal Mart also has a plastic renu product that worked on my rear bumper to get rid of the fade on my 06 Renegade

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good! I still miss my 02...

Like HJ said use the proper fluids. The 02s had actual power steering fluid and not the pink/red ATF+4 like the later ones. Should be amber color or brown if its dirty. You don't want to mix them as it will make for a noisy pump. If you see any green in the coolant get it flushed and replaced with the G05 or Mopar HOAT ASAP. The "universal" stuff doesn't mix well with the factory HOAT.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not knowing the history is a crap shoot
so change all fluids, including both diffs, transfer case, transmission, power steering fluid, cooling system flushed , new spark plugs etc
It will pay off down the road
And yes this is a true 4x4 with rear wheel drive not a front wheel pansy car of today

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my original post, but Carfax showed an open recall. I called the local Dodge/Jeep dealer to make an appointment and it turns out that there are four open recalls on my vehicle :uhoh2:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention in my original post, but Carfax showed an open recall. I called the local Dodge/Jeep dealer to make an appointment and it turns out that there are four open recalls on my vehicle :uhoh2:

More than likely the tow hitch, air bag and a few things like that . Wouldn't worry about it too much, just when you have time

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wal Mart also has a plastic renu product that worked on my rear bumper to get rid of the fade on my 06 Renegade

a little trick I picked up from my neighbour:

If you have access to a heat gun, run it over the plastic trim. On my XJ, it turned the trim that was mostly white back to a full black color. I was amazed. Looked better than the plastic renu I tested on a small area. I then tried it on the grey trim on our silver KJ it it brought it back to life as well. Not as much pop as the black, but definitely more than the plastic renu did.

If you don't have a heat gun, then the plastic renu stuff will work - just keep in mind that it is oil based and will need to be cleaned and reapplied every-so-often.

Welcome to the Jeep club... they will grow on you for sure!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the smoke smell, try the little round puck thing of Ozium. Turned my smoker’s vehicle into a non-smoker’s vehicle. Febreeze just covered the smell for a little while.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
a little trick I picked up from my neighbour:

If you have access to a heat gun, run it over the plastic trim. On my XJ, it turned the trim that was mostly white back to a full black color. I was amazed. Looked better than the plastic renu I tested on a small area. I then tried it on the grey trim on our silver KJ it it brought it back to life as well. Not as much pop as the black, but definitely more than the plastic renu did.

If you don't have a heat gun, then the plastic renu stuff will work - just keep in mind that it is oil based and will need to be cleaned and reapplied every-so-often.

Welcome to the Jeep club... they will grow on you for sure!

Plastic turns gray due to the sun bleaching the oils out of the plastic. Using the heat gun will work for a short time, but it is not a cure all

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the smoke smell, try the little round puck thing of Ozium. Turned my smoker’s vehicle into a non-smoker’s vehicle. Febreeze just covered the smell for a little while.

Thanks for that tip. I see that Ozium comes in a spray bottle. Wouldn't that be easier to use? How do you apply whatever is in the 'puck'?

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Armor-All makes a renew type product that I used yesterday. It looks pretty good. It will probably need a second coat since all the plastic work is 15 years old.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip. I see that Ozium comes in a spray bottle. Wouldn't that be easier to use? How do you apply whatever is in the 'puck'?

You unscrew the top, peel off the plastic, screw the top back on and leave it on the floor in the back.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Armor-All makes a renew type product that I used yesterday. It looks pretty good. It will probably need a second coat since all the plastic work is 15 years old.

Any of the so called renew it products will require you apply every so often, depending on location/ if you park in the sun all of the time etc.
None can put all of the oils back in the plastic.
Only stuff I found to last was a can I bought in Tanzania, it would last a year, well 7-8 months and slowly start fading.
Finally just painted the plastics on the Toyota we have over there

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Only one I've used that works is Bondo Restore black. Did the LR3 a few years ago and its plastics still look new. It's a black dye.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You unscrew the top, peel off the plastic, screw the top back on and leave it on the floor in the back.

Thanks. That's easy enough. I thought that somehow it had to be applied. I will definitely get the Ozium.

wbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also took some toothpaste to the dingy headlight covers and they cleaned up real well.