I think I need a wrecker for my KJ.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
So far this winter I have pulled 2 front wheel drive cars out of the ditch. I am really surprised at the pulling power and traction that these short wheel based KJ's have...get a long enough chain and it seems to be pretty stout and capable.

One guy offered me money, but the other guys didn't (just kids too) but I didn't do it for the monetary rewards, just like to help people out...since I was in that same position many many times as a young crazy lad myself..:eek:

Now I just need to work a Holmes twin wrecker to the rear of the KJ and I will have my own TV reality show on A&E.:p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
For a second there I thought you wrecked your KJ..........but now I see you are the wrecker...haha

Dave

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
LOL ... Phew I thought the worst too!

That's the Jeep Spirit! I tried to help a 4wd Hyundai out of the ditch a couple weeks ago ... sadly no Man Tires© or tow points anywhere to be found on it .. all I could do was help dig. In the end he had to call a KJ924 :D

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
LOL ... Phew I thought the worst too!

That's the Jeep Spirit! I tried to help a 4wd Hyundai out of the ditch a couple weeks ago ... sadly no Man Tires© or tow points anywhere to be found on it .. all I could do was help dig. In the end he had to call a KJ924 :D

Man Tires .....LOL Love that term.

Good thing I had Man Tires, it made the pull a lot easier.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Never have pulled anyone out, but I've been pulled out off road. :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've been towed out with a chain, no issues, other than the guy backing into a tree....which isn't the chains fault.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got two at one blow last winter, wife and I were watching out the back kitchen window at some teenager in a Honda who slid into the ditch on the other side of the field in back of our house. After I while I decided to go and pull him out, get my hat and boots and go into the garage, hit the opener and there's a dude in a Chrysler in the ditch in FRONT of my house too!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've safely used chains for 15+ years,the key is to know how to use them properly which 99% of people do not.heck most do not know how to properly use a strap,or even the difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap.

Thats the problem most do not know how to properly use them scares me most times enough to back off a long ways

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have pulled out all types of cars this winter, and two 4wd trucks that got overconfident with what they were driving...

Nothing like pulling out a 3/4 ton with your KJ and laughing all the way home.

Oh and i have used chains since i lived on the farm, no worries, i currently only own tow straps with hooks on them, and everyone seems to think i should throw them away and get ones with loops, yeah some day, these work great getting small cars out with hook points on the frame.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't really use a chain do you ? :eek:

Uuuh yeah I do.....why? I have driven tow truck for a number of years and used chain all my life for towing and recovery. Straps are ok...not saying anything wrong with them, but when you know how to use a chain properly, there is nothing stronger you need.;)

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im installing front d rings on my liberty now because im tired of pulling people without a proper tow point. I have to stop when i see someone stuck i feel like such a dick being in a jeep that can take any snow and just passing by them. but what the hell are they doing out in their mustangs and camaros to begin with!!!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Last winter in the middle of a blizzard, some old guy with a RWD LTD sedan was in the ditch good. I stopped and he said he was going 50mph when all of a sudden it slid sideways. (no wonder the tires were as old as the car)
Anyways, he had called for assistance they said it would be about 4 hours, so he offered me $ to get him out. With no recovery points I had no choice, but to get down and dirty, crawl under in the snow/dirt to wrap the only thing I had (1 inch poly rope) around the rear axle, connect that to the shorter tow strap, C bolted into the trailer hitch. Total was about 50 feet from where I was parked. He said there was no way the Jeep would pull his angled heavy car out.
In 4 Low on two inches of muck, I pulled that car, it was a bit of a struggle, but accomplished the task. He gave me a tip on top and said he needs one of those Jeeps.
I told him he also needs some snow tires all the way around, until he buy's a 4WD Liberty.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.