Hood air/bug deflector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duckphreak

Reaction score
What do you guys think about these? More than bugs, do they help with rocks to avoid chipping? And what about the look? I can't decide if I want to get one or not.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rcoks

Don't have one on my Jeep, but have used them on other vehicles in the past.

The don't help with rocks that are too big to be moved by air currents. Some people think that they throw chip causing rocks more into the drivers field of vision, instead of the rock hitting lower on the windshield.

You're going to get chips and cracks eventually. I got a bad crack last summer from a rock in Colorado. I live in Virginia and they require yearly inspections, mine wouldn't pass with the location of the crack, so I had to replace my windshield. Got a brand new one installed, at my house, for $250.

duckphreak

Reaction score
That was my big concern, since websites always say that deflectors help shield the hood, but I don't know if that means the rocks/chips are deflected to the windshield...?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
They surely help but at a price, with ugly uni-brow looking front end.
I don't really drive in rocky roads, but I already had two chips, one was big enough and started rusting which I noticed a while after it was cracked, I just got some touch up paint and covered it up. It was right above the grill, on edge of the hood.

Otherwise, sh*t happens, you can never protect your jeep enough, so don't get a unibrow.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I do not like the looks of them, but it is really subjective. As far as actually protecting against stone chips, etc I don't know.

Keep an eye out for a kj in your area that has one and you can eyeball it in the flesh. It might help you decide.

Dave

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I do not like the looks of them, but it is really subjective. As far as actually protecting against stone chips, etc I don't know.

Keep an eye out for a kj in your area that has one and you can eyeball it in the flesh. It might help you decide.

Dave

Word, I've never liked plastic doo-dahs glued to the body of my cars. Even though some are probably truly useful, like the window air deflectors that... I guess let you drive through a torrential rainstorm with the window down... or something.

GA05SPORT

Reaction score
Got one had it on... took if off...put it on eBay.... didn't sell.... sat in garage....put it back on......took it back off..... you get the idea.

if you want one..... I'd let it go cheap! ( chuckle ) so my A.D.D. would stop
this insanity!

duckphreak

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the full car with it on? It seems like only pics I can find online are just the hood portion which doesn't tell me much about how it'll look.

duckphreak

Reaction score
Ooooh wow... So I finally found a full picture with the deflector... Dear God that is ugly. I finally understand what you guys have been trying to tell me! :eek:

Latest posts

Members online