Has anyone used Pathfiner A/Ts? or Goodyear Authority

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to get some tires... cheap! I'm looking at 31x10.5-15. Walmart has the Goodyear Authority at $130 per tire & Discount Tire has the Pathfinder A/T for $127, bu8t they also have a $40 instant rebate, making them the better option in terms of price. The Pathfinders look like nearly identical to BFGs, but with less siping.

I also have a good deal on slightly used Uniroyal Liberator A/T, but they look similar to my BFG Long Trails, which were a compromise with the wife. I'm want a more aggressive off-road tire this time around! But if anyone knows if these are good off road, they are a great deal.

Any input will be appreciated.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran some Pathfinders for a year and a bit on my KJ, they were OK but seemed to wear kind of fast compared to the BFG TA's I have on now which still have lots of tread left after a year on the ground. Haven't run the Goodyears or the others so can't say if they'll be any better.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Liberators are a pretty cheap tire, friend put them on his Escape under protests from me, after less than 20,000 miles he took them off.
You can buy Goodyear Duratracs for almost the same price as well if you go in and price match. Thats how I got mine so cheap:rolleyes:

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran Pathfinders on my Ford Ranger a few years ago...they were OK...but the BFG's I had later were MUCH better. But I do understand...$$ was the big factor between the two of them. I think for the $, the Yokohama Geolander AT's I ran were pretty good, and I also had a set of Toyo Open Country AT's. Both were a bit better than the Pathfinders, while not nearly as expensive as the BFG's.

Midgear

Reaction score
Liberators are a pretty cheap tire, friend put them on his Escape under protests from me, after less than 20,000 miles he took them off.
You can buy Goodyear Duratracs for almost the same price as well if you go in and price match. Thats how I got mine so cheap:rolleyes:

eek2.gif

Are the Liberators really that bad? I was actually considering them-

What would you pay for a set of 5 BFG Goodrich all terrains ? TireRack has them listed for $929.65 shipped for 5 of them- when I can get the Liberator all terrain's for about 550.. I guess the "you get what you pay for" applies here..

I do a fair bit of highway driving but I also enjoy slapping the occasional mudhole or barreling off the road exploring a set of tire tracks that lead off into the trees- would the Liberators get me by for a while and be decent for light trailing and highway use, or are they just junk?

what would you recommend?

Midgear

Reaction score
I'm stupid when it comes to the "31-10.50R15" sizing.. im use to the "235/70/16" ... would any of those fit on a stock liberty?

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/75/16's are too tall without a lift

biggest without a lift is 245/70/16 and you might have to do some trimming
depends on how worn your stock springs are

offroadohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from any tire that is made for a specific company... ie. authority, pathfiner, liberator, mesa, ect. Only becuase if you are out where they dont have the store oyu bought it from there is no such thing as a replacment.

Havent heard much good about the pathfinders, and I know the liberators just plain suck. My father n law put a set on the cherokee before I got it from him. it wouldnt stick to the rd in wet or snow.

I finally took them off and out a set of all seasons on and they actualy stick to the rd.

The authorities look like a decent tire but I dsont know anything about them. They look similar to the fierce attitude that I am runnin jus tnto quite as agressive.