Front diff swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
04, OVER 4 INCHES OF LIFT, AFTERMARKET BUMPERS, HEAVY SKIDS 265-75-16S AND 4.10S EASILY GOT 21-22, EVEN GOT OVER 23 ONCE RUNNING ACROSS PENNSYLVANIA . THATS ALL AT 75 PLUS ON THE HIGHWAY

03 with 2.5 inches of lift, 265-70-16, heavy skids etc I get about 22 at 75 plus. But I can tell it has more power on hills etc, doesn't shift as often . But honestly haven't checked it lately . Have to next week, another Ohio to North Carolina and back down through WVa and Va

05 stock doesn't do as well maybe 19 and its all stock but then it needs to have the snot ran out of it for a bit, been a while
By the way mine gets ran hard, rev limiter is my friend, I find it daily, don't bog these KJs down they like to be revved

Hey Tommudd are any of these the v6??

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok awesome thanks guys. Yeah the gal I bought mine from must have been stoned whenever she drove cuz I get roughly 17 city not the 12 she said. Of course she probably had her foot in it at all times. I only do that once in a blue moon. Not to completely get off topic but do any of you happen to know where I could find a LH front renegade flare? I scored 3 of the 4 corners at a local junkyard for 50 but I can't find the matching drivers front.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok awesome thanks guys. Yeah the gal I bought mine from must have been stoned whenever she drove cuz I get roughly 17 city not the 12 she said. Of course she probably had her foot in it at all times. I only do that once in a blue moon. Not to completely get off topic but do any of you happen to know where I could find a LH front renegade flare? I scored 3 of the 4 corners at a local junkyard for 50 but I can't find the matching drivers front.

My foot is in it all the time , all of mine like it that way
Hit the rev limiter at least a couple of times a day
Interstate hiways, 75 plus

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully ill be able to afford that after I regear it lmao. That's a lot of fuel for mine right now

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he has all of the proper tools to sit one up, thats cool.
If I have any I just let someone who does it daily do mine. Easier, cheaper and faster than for me to, although I've done a lot of them. BUT been 20 years ago LOL

Hey Tommudd what's a decent price on a 4.10 re geared rear installed? If I supply the parts so minus parts cost?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Tommudd what's a decent price on a 4.10 re geared rear installed? If I supply the parts so minus parts cost?

Typically labor will run you $600-800 for a gear install. If you're going to do any real offroading I would also put lockers in at the same time so you don't end up spending money on labor twice. It wouldn't be any more expensive to toss the locker in when doing the gears.

Ctnunez

Reaction score
I hope its only 600-800 for the gear installation. At 900 for the gears via JeepinByAl, that makes it 1500-1700, and that seems high to me. I couldn't imagine it being 2k, and at that price it'll be tough to convince my partner that she should let me do it!

Does it take more than 4hrs to do a gear swap? Does having lockers already installed make it more difficult? Damn I wish I swapped gears when I installed my lockers.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope its only 600-800 for the gear installation. At 900 for the gears via JeepinByAl, that makes it 1500-1700, and that seems high to me. I couldn't imagine it being 2k, and at that price it'll be tough to convince my partner that she should let me do it!

Does it take more than 4hrs to do a gear swap? Does having lockers already installed make it more difficult? Damn I wish I swapped gears when I installed my lockers.

Rear diff is usually $300-$600 depending on local labor rates.

The front your stuck,the front diff must be removed and that adds $500-$800 in labor alone before the actual cost of the gear swap since it's 5.5 labor hours to R&I the diff alone.

$2000 for a F&R gear swap in a KJ is normal.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Most shops will charge you one rate to install gears with or without lockers. Already having lockers shouldn't change the price. The locker replaces the carrier they would have had to swap the gears on to. So it's less work doing gears/locker than just gears if you were retaining your carrier.

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically labor will run you $600-800 for a gear install. If you're going to do any real offroading I would also put lockers in at the same time so you don't end up spending money on labor twice. It wouldn't be any more expensive to toss the locker in when doing the gears.

I plan on doing arb air lockers or ox air lockers at some point but not anytime soon. This is more or less for just better fuel economy without having to do smaller tires and remove the lift. I like where it sits right now. Some point I may do the iba 4 inch lift but again not anytime soon. Also its my daily and it'll only see a few trails and snow and mud a few times in the summer months just goofing off. When I get a new daily and can really tear into this is when ill do the air lockers and such

Axel-ander92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear diff is usually $300-$600 depending on local labor rates.

The front your stuck,the front diff must be removed and that adds $500-$800 in labor alone before the actual cost of the gear swap since it's 5.5 labor hours to R&I the diff alone.

$2000 for a F&R gear swap in a KJ is normal.

I'm doing the front myself. Just gonna swap in a 4.10 from a 2.4 and replace front drive shaft and cv axles along with it. Its just any ********* tearing into a differential myself I wanna stay away from. I'd rather leave that to the pros

Members online

No members online now.