Finding always on power wire under dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prionicone

Reaction score
Hey Im installing an EVIC an I need to find a wire under the dash for always on power.

I've seen all the instal guides and sites and I have the three wires that splice into the obd2 connector taken care of.

It's just that last wire that in the guides say something along the lines of, "For the remaining wire simply find a wire that is only receiving power when the ignition is turned on. Use a test light to find a wire and splice the wire into it."

Also, I ran across information that the power needs to be constant, not ignition on, as it has the potential to drain the battery otherwise. Something like with the power of the evic can't shut off properly or go int sleep mode or something...

Regardless, how to find a power wire? I have a multi meter and an ac voltage tester, both of which seem ill suited for this. What is this tester light the guide mentions?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is your libby? once we have the year we can then tell you hopefully where to get the power from. Now on my libby I have switched ignition power coming from the radio area.

prionicone

Reaction score
It's a 2007 and the evic came out of an '05.

I think i want it to hook into always live power but knowing both would be best I suppose.

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly I believe I tapped into the power port or cig lighter. Same wire I used to power my XM Tuner. Had to removed one anyway when I installed the double DIN face plate. Also believe one had constant power and the other was Accessory position.

prionicone

Reaction score
Ok so I ended up scouring the 2004 service manual wiring diagrams and found that it should, at least on that year, splice into the negitive side of the #13 fuse circuit. So I found out which wire that was on the backside of the fuse box and spliced into it. Two days and so far so good. No dead battery or blown fuses yet.

Latest posts

Members online