Fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I know that this probably has been discussed before, but I've been thinking that I want to paint my fender flares, bumper covers and moldings black, but I want to remove everything when I do it and I've read that those rivets that hold everything on, are no good after you take them out and you have to buy new ones from the dealer, well my questions are if I go to the dealer and get them how many would I need to buy, how much do they cost and since they're rivets do you need a rivet gun to install them? What do you guys think? Thanks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get them from Napa for alot cheaper,you will need a special plastic rivet gun though and it's about $30.

The part# for the Plastic Rivets from NAPA is Part#770-2871.Not sure the price,cheaper then the dealer though,and how many you need(just count them on all your flares/bumbers and get that many + a few extra just in case).

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Is it easy, but just tedious? The plastic rivet gun you can get them at Pep Boys ect?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. Is it easy, but just tedious? The plastic rivet gun you can get them at Pep Boys ect?
Having the correct plastic rivet gun makes it very easy,haven't seen the rivet gun needed at any store but Napa or a autobody supply stores.

It looks like this........
You must be registered for see images

Found it here for $20---http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mar48000.html

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but since you have a white KJ, it would probably look better if you painted them white instead of black.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help tjkj2002. jeepkj02 I thought about painting them white, but I don't know, I think black would give it a sportier or meaner look i guess. I guess its just a personal peference.