Does My Car Have Keyless Entry?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morningbrew3

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if you knew if there would be anyway I could check to see if my car has a keyless entry system/ alarm. I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 4wd. I bought ut used and it didn't come with a remote. Also if it doesn't have one then do you know what good brand aftermarket one I could get installed?

Thanks,
Andrew

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keyless

I don't know of a Liberty that came without keyless entry.

I suggest buying a remote or two, also called a FOB from eBay. You'll have to take it to the dealership to have it programmed. Once you have two programmed remotes, you can program them yourself.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, it should have keyless, mine is an 03 sport with keyless.

side note, keyless FOBs are bloody expensive

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some libertys did come with manual windows and locks so they are out there. I believe most of these were 02's though.

I would guess if the liberty came with power locks and windows then it probably has it. You can get fobs off ebay for cheap and have the dealer program them for you.

A build sheet can also be gotten from the dealer that will confirm this.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Power Windows and Locks and Keyless entry didn't become standard until MY 2005. So there's a CHANCE that you don't have it, but if you have power locks, I believe you do have it.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have steering wheel radio controls or an overhead console? If so, then you know for sure you at least have the right BCM (you need the premium) for it, so even if you don't have the keyless module installed, you CAN put it in. According to the 03 FSM, (see below) it's on the back side of the BCM.
You must be registered for see images

jordan3757

Reaction score
Quickest way to tell: If you have keyless entry, your tailgate's door handle will NOT have a lock cylinder in the handle. If you do not, there will be a lock cylinder for you to lock/unlock the tailgate.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Quickest way to tell: If you have keyless entry, your tailgate's door handle will NOT have a lock cylinder in the handle. If you do not, there will be a lock cylinder for you to lock/unlock the tailgate.
While that's a good way to tell, it's model year dependent, however that WILL work for a 2003.

Last edited:

morningbrew3

Reaction score
okay so i went the dealer to get a key made and they said it did have keyless entry. they charge 60$ for a remote and to program it. If i get one off ebay will it still cost $60? I hope not. or will they program it for free.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay so i went the dealer to get a key made and they said it did have keyless entry. they charge 60$ for a remote and to program it. If i get one off ebay will it still cost $60? I hope not. or will they program it for free.

You to the dealer you purchased the vehicle from and demand they program a keyless entry for free!! Call Chrysler if they refuse.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed not just the tailgate, but the passenger door doesn't have a keyhole either.

jordan3757

Reaction score
I noticed not just the tailgate, but the passenger door doesn't have a keyhole either.

That's true for all models, even those without keyless entry I believe.

As far as replacing the tailgate handle with one with a lock cylinder involved, you can get the other handle but I can't speak as to how it would hook up to the power lock latch.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keys

I believe some of the earlier model had passenger doors with key holes. I know I've seen them somewhere.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You to the dealer you purchased the vehicle from and demand they program a keyless entry for free!! Call Chrysler if they refuse.
That's not a warrenty item,if it he bought it like that and it was not part of the deal they do not have to pay and Chrysler will state that also since it was a used vehicle sold "As Is" since it was not in the purchasing deal or in warrenty still.

jeepdaddy65

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 05 Renegade/Rocky Mountain, all the remote buttons are in the key. The dealer payed half of the $180.00 cost to get me a key and reprogram it as the previous owner only turned in one. So $60.00 for a fob doesn't sound so bad.