Decoding secrets of 2006 KJ Stereo / Navigation Re: RB1 vs RB4 - Nav & Back Up Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boueux

Reaction score
Looking at the CD / AMFM unit pictured in the dash, and comparing it to the “RB1” shown with model number 56018629A1
Will this fit where the current one is now?

The 2006 service manual shows illustrations of two different units but neither is the presumably factory one now in the dash.. leaving me to wonder. The numbered one above is one and the other is given as RB4 or part number 56043286AF, which also has a screen larger than the one now installed. ..

Or is it necessary to buy a new insert to house the one with the larger screen? All inserts I’ve seen for double dins have square corners instead of the stock rounded corners on these two units shown..

More particularly, can backup camera use the larger screen of the RB1? Or does that mean I’d need another head unit entirely? I’ve looked for example of others modding this and so far am coming up short.

I know navigation has come a long way since then. I could pull annd keep the original jonks and store it in case some / other/ nut later wants the stock stuff. In which case, what is annyone else using for sound, gps nav as ann anll in one solution? All info appreciated.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_3467.jpeg
    IMG_3467.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 9

Jonald

Reaction score
I had a Pioneer Apple Car Play radio, but the stock location is too low for me and I don't like looking that far away from the road. I also tried a Car Play external screen, but found the dash to be too cluttered and the microphone sucked.

I just have a mount for my phone up on the dash and I use a FlexSMART X2 (https://www.gogroove.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=435&product_id=20086) for Bluetooth interface with the radio. I've tried other brands and models and keep coming back to this $30 solution that easily moves between vehicles.

Boueux

Reaction score
Well would ya lookat that. I never. More people should know about that. Brilliant, thank you Profoundly. My H ordered an aftermarket in dash that actually fits the original stereo spot without any modding needed.. and I will report back re that, but your gadget looks a real jem. It’ll make a great gift for a new old car owner, so thank you thank you.

Members online

No members online now.