CV Boot Ripped...Now What? OEM, JBA, or JE Reel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMarine1171

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I need some advice. My CV boot ripped and grease is everywhere. I was going to replace the boot and the grease and all that fun stuff but don't have the tools/equipment. Everything I've read and everyone I've talked to says just replace the whole CV Assembly. wtf.gif

I have the Frankenlift II with HD springs/coils. Will the stock OEM CV Assembly be OK? Anyone else out there have this problem after a Frankenlift with HD springs? I had been off road recently but it was literally the third time...not even ******** off roading just trying to find a good fishing spot (Cheers) So I might just have bad luck.

I'm not sure if the up-graded CV Assembly from JBA:

http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-CV_axle_shaft_passenger_side-577.aspx

or JE Reel:

http://jeepinbyal.com/prod-CV_axle_shaft_passenger_side-490.aspx

are necessary. I'm sure they're worth it, just not sure if I need them. I don't plan on lifting higher than the Frankenlift and don't know if that 3/8" being shaved is gonna help me? And does anyone know what is the difference between the JE Reel and JBA versions other than "HD cage".

That's alot of money to get a "HD cage" if another boot can rip that easy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
NAPA 55/60 bucks with exchange OH and only Remanufactured ones
work great
I got over 100,000 out of the stock ones lifted so depends on what you want to spend money on. I only had to replace due to the intermediate shaft rusting and wearing out

Last edited:

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with napa remaned CV's. better to get the actual CV's used versus aftermarket. OEM from chrysler are a couple hundred dollars a piece.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another opinion ( might be stupid as well )...

After removing the CV, clean it thoroughly and look for worn out splines or excessive play. If all is ok You can replace boots only.

I know, I know, may sound obvious, but when my RH boot tore apart, I was surprised to see that after all ( and 38 kmiles, here ... )
it looked LIKE NEW..

As I said before, just my thought :)

USMarine1171

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

The stealership gave me a price of like $500 each side including parts/labor. But if I bring in the part they said labor would be $90...fuzzy math there. So I'm probably just gonna get a CV axle off the net...the NAPA price of $60 and labor of $90...sounds great.

I moved recently and don't know anyone with the tools to do it myself, otherwise I'd probably just replace boot.

I imagine most people with the expensive CV assemblies would just replace the boot if it was damaged.

Latest posts

Members online