cv axles/large lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wh33ls!

Reaction score
I recently put 4.5" of lift on my 2010 KK to fit the tires i was wanting. My current issue is that my stock cv axles are at too high of an angle that they are not grinding/binding on the interior of the axles. I was looking at the Napa extended travel CV axles that they offer for the earlier models and using these. But I noticed that the outlet spline count is different from the axles they offer and what I have currently. Has anyone ran into this problem?? What have you seen or been done to fix this problem?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The stock Mopar CV’s can work at 4” of lift. That’s what I have. I have read that aftermarket ones (like from the zones) are a hair short, so I would avoid those. Napa remanufactured used to be the right length, but I don’t know if they offer those anymore.

I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say “stock cv axles are at too high of an angle that they are not grinding/binding on the interior of the axles”. Grinding and binding would be a bad thing, yes?

Also at more than 3” of lift you will need aftermarket upper control arms to be able to get a decent alignment. I 100% recommend JBA Offroad for that.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some have used spacers to lower the front sub frame that the lca's, front diff, and engine all mount too. I considered it briefly but felt like it would become a messy snowball effect, so I opted for a more reasonable lift. Don't need it anymore top-heavy.

Dirtyrat

Reaction score
I recently put 4.5" of lift on my 2010 KK to fit the tires i was wanting. My current issue is that my stock cv axles are at too high of an angle that they are not grinding/binding on the interior of the axles. I was looking at the Napa extended travel CV axles that they offer for the earlier models and using these. But I noticed that the outlet spline count is different from the axles they offer and what I have currently. Has anyone ran into this problem?? What have you seen or been done to fix this problem?
I did a subframe drop on mine. 1” spacers. Only 4 of them. And the oe bolts are long enough. Should help some.

Wh33ls!

Reaction score
The stock Mopar CV’s can work at 4” of lift. That’s what I have. I have read that aftermarket ones (like from the zones) are a hair short, so I would avoid those. Napa remanufactured used to be the right length, but I don’t know if they offer those anymore.

I am not sure I understand what you mean when you say “stock cv axles are at too high of an angle that they are not grinding/binding on the interior of the axles”. Grinding and binding would be a bad thing, yes?

Also at more than 3” of lift you will need aftermarket upper control arms to be able to get a decent alignment. I 100% recommend JBA Offroad for that.
I did misspell on the grinding/binding, they are doing that and obviously you do not want that. I was thinking about custom CV axles? Not sure if that is even a thing, if it is do you know anyone that does do that?

I have seen those upper control arms from JBA Offroad, i will be putting those in sometime in the future. I only drive about 3 miles to work and back at the moment so i do not think it will be a huge deal only going about 35MPH with an OK alignment

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to know the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flare measurement. In a stock KK that is 18 inches when new. If you have 4.5 inches of lift you should be at 23” here. You shouldn’t have any grinding/contact at 4” (22.5”) at least. If you can link some photos, that would help us diagnose. Custom KK CV axles are not a thing, at least not that I have heard about being on the forums since 2011.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Some have used spacers to lower the front sub frame that the lca's, front diff, and engine all mount too. I considered it briefly but felt like it would become a messy snowball effect, so I opted for a more reasonable lift. Don't need it anymore top-heavy.
the center of gravity does go up some. But it's not to much more top heavy than a 4 inch lift makes it. Not nearly as bad as I would have figured.

Wh33ls!

Reaction score
I would love to know the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender flare measurement. In a stock KK that is 18 inches when new. If you have 4.5 inches of lift you should be at 23” here. You shouldn’t have any grinding/contact at 4” (22.5”) at least. If you can link some photos, that would help us diagnose. Custom KK CV axles are not a thing, at least not that I have heard about being on the forums since 2011.
The measurement was 23" from center wheel to fender flare. What i have on there is the rough country 2.5" lift and an additional 2" spacer added to the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 18

MsRandiCook

Cookie
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read you can use large diameter washers. Like a fender washer?

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Does someone maker spacers for a KK subframe?
Not any manufacturers that I know of. I don't know how tall your plan is to go
But if you're planning on dropping down the upper control arm. I can tell you that you will want the subframe to be spaced down the exact same distance for the ease of less fabrication. Also you will need to drop the transmission the same distance which over all will give you 8¾ lift and the ability to give 12¾ lift.

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
The front bolts are 14 mm and the rear are 12 And I used 9 16 fine thread Bolts Great eight To bolt the spacers and subframe together

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Subframe bolts
But I also dropped the upper control arm down 8 and 3/4 in which with a 5-in spacer between the frame and the subframe and new mounting points for the upper control arm and I also drop the lower control arm down three and three quarters of an inch to get back to factory geometry

joshgoble

Setting on 37x13.5x 17
Reaction score
Does someone maker spacers for a KK subframe?
I can build you 4 one inch spaces out of whatever material you want I'm pretty sure I still have some one inch thick by 2" flat bar laying around to build them