CV axle change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
And will not last as those 2 parts are heat treated and he killed the heat treating(which gives strength) making both pieces very weak.

Forget about returning for a core after welding also and you have to buy a new intermediate shaft to boot anyways.

JB Weld would get around the heat treat part. Guess one would eat the core charge.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But why would you want to weld them together?
I mean its not a high $$$ repair at all

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should grease be applied to the end of the shaft where it connects to the cv axle? Seems the biggest prob is rust...then it wears out.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should grease be applied to the end of the shaft where it connects to the cv axle? Seems the biggest prob is rust...then it wears out.

Very interesting question and I too would like to know the answer

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Napa can get these shafts? Ive got the mopar number(5066057 AB) but napa cant find anything for that. Dont have a lot of time to wait around for shipping once I take it all a part.. Wont know if this is the problem till I take it a part..

I plan on packing it full of grease..

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Napa can get these shafts? Ive got the mopar number(5066057 AB) but napa cant find anything for that. Dont have a lot of time to wait around for shipping once I take it all a part.. Wont know if this is the problem till I take it a part..

Call Eric,had mine in 2 days.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Not sure about NAPA but don't think so, I would just order one from Eric and be ready.
I just put some anti-seize on mine and no problems

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone know the price on the reman'd axel(pass side) from Napa? I need at least the intermediate shaft, and maybe the CV axel as well. I have about an inch or more of play when grabbed and moved by hand...so I assume the inner CV splines are toast now...along with the inter shaft splines .

Part #'s would be a help too.

Thanks

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CV axle is $107 and $95(or so) deposit on core...at NAPA
Don't know about the intermediate axle though. I need to get mine done too

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re-man shaft is only $55 or so at Napa after you return the core. Eric has the intermediate shaft for $72, think thats with shipping.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Blake...I wonder what Napa wants up here in Canada????? I will phone tomorrow and find out and post what I hear for the rest of us Crazy Canucks.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Blake...I wonder what Napa wants up here in Canada????? I will phone tomorrow and find out and post what I hear for the rest of us Crazy Canucks.

Ohh my bad, I forgot you were in Canada. You can go to Napa's website and shop for whatever you want based on your location.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've heard lots of crap about the Cardone brand shafts. Check the NAPA warranty .pdf file on the web page for the shafts. They're Cardones as well. It would seem that Cardone supplies both the remanned and new shafts. There can't be that many companies out there with the tooling required to manufacture CV shafts. I'm sure that the only difference between many brands is the box that it comes in. I bought the new ones when I did my front end last fall because there were NO remanned ones in stock anywhere. So far so good. I measured the length of the shafts before installing. They were the same. I've been out wheeling a few times, have had the front suspension hang in the air a couple of times and have not had any problems. Maybe Cardone got their **** sorted out.

My $0.02. That's all.

Ian