Cruise control problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

halcyon510

Reaction score
Hi, I installed a cruise control system in my '02 KJ as per this article: http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4947

I put in the steering wheel controls last Friday, and the servo yesterday. When the controls were in but no servo, I could make the cruise light come on for a few seconds, but obviously it would turn off after a moment and wouldn't always come on at all. When I installed the servo my cruise system worked great, and it was great on the way to work, but after work it wasn't working. It's doing the same thing as it did before I put the servo in, with the light coming on for a second and going away. I checked all the connections to my servo and reseated the harness a few times, but no luck. Did my servo blow out already?

P.s. I got it used off Ebay for $25...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm.. Have you tried it after shutting the Jeep off and starting it back up? Could just need to be re-set.

Its a possibility that the servo went bad..

halcyon510

Reaction score
I tried turning the ignition on and off a few times, but no luck. I haven't tried disconnecting the battery, but disconnecting the servo might have the same effect? I think I'll try anyway.

halcyon510

Reaction score
I disconnected the battery for a half hour or so, still doesn't work. I talked to my brother who had a similar problem on his '99 Grand Cherokee. He suggested that I replace the switches on my brake and clutch that turn off the cruise control when you use the pedals. His problem was the brake switch. I'll post my findings when I get them.

halcyon510

Reaction score
Okay, long story short, I wasted my money on a new servo. Oddly it worked for about 5 minutes. The solution to my problem was when i finally found the will to re-seat the wiring harness to my brake pedal switch. Works great now.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know! Can you return the servo? If not, try to sell it in the for sale section on here and on LOST.. Guess the bro was right! :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Good info! And if you think about it, it makes perfect logical sense...as by law the brake pedal must deactivate the cruise....and you certainly dont want that to malfunction!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.