Can't open tailgate.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1of1547

Reaction score
Hey how are you doing? My girlfriend has a 03 Liberty Limited. I've always been into one ton trucks. So her Liberty is quite a change for me!!! :D I like the little Jeep. She hasn't had very many problems with it. But the other weekend her tailgate stopped working. When you pull the handle the the glass will pop open. But the door will not open. Any ideas on fixing it?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what Ive read the linkage comes off inside the door. There is a panel you can take off the inside of the door that lets you get to all of that.

jordan3757

Reaction score
It might be that your tailgate's lock solenoid has gone bad. Happened to me. If the linkage is hooked up properly, check the power to the tail gate latch assembly. It should be getting power when you hit the unlock switch or button twice on the keyless entry. $200 part if it's bad. Let me know if you need more info.

1of1547

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the information. I'm thinking it could be the lock solenoid. When I hit the unlock on the remote all of the doors make the typical unlock "clunk". But there is no sound from the tailgate. I will pull the access panel and give it a look. Hopefully it is just the linkage. But with my luck it will be the solenoid.

jordan3757

Reaction score
If you don't hear the "clunk...clunk" as normal when you hit the unlock twice, it's the solenoid. I'd check the power to it with a multimeter first though before ordering the part just to make sure. The installation is easy... took about 15 minutes. Not so easy on the wallet though.. For a while I just manually operated the lock by popping the glass and reaching my hand in while I was waiting on the part to come in.

1of1547

Reaction score
Get this, I grabbed the handle this weekend and it opened??? It is still working at the current moment!!!