BCM Base upgrade to premium

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smack3287

Reaction score
Hello all. I have an 03 sport and I have been planning to install an evic, fog lights, cruise control and rke. I have noted those are all things not supported by my base model BCM. So I now need to upgrade. Three questions, can I pull one out of a same year renegade (not really worried about the mileage changing)? Is it better to order a default programmed one and program out my kj? Can a reprogram the one I pull from the renegade? Thanks for all your input and if there is already a thread on this, my apologies, I could not find it. Thanks again everyone.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!
Why is there a need to change the BCM ? Are you sure about that?

Mine is an export model, I added cruise control, steering buttons and an evic with homelink and TPMS with no need to upgrade the BCM.

If your steering wheel has a clock spring that supports cruise control (has to have 7 pins) you are ok to go.

As far as the EVIC is concerned, it is a self contained module. I have a 03 model on my 05 and the only think that has to do withthe BCM is that it does not read the instant milage. (jeep changed the comunication protocole in 04)

use the search function to do a little research here and over LOST and you will find detailed howtos on both installations.

smack3287

Reaction score
The need to upgrade is based on the evic installation guide i found here:

Installing an OTIS

It says if you dont have RKE, Fog Lights, or Steering Wheel Mounted Radio Controls, then you will need to upgrade. If that is not the case then, hooray! Money saved. Ill pull the steering wheel and check the pin count. If it does not support cruise what can I do to bring my KJ up into the new age of technology and add cruise control?

Thanks for the input and Ill let you know if it works out for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online