Battery Swap Confusion !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone changed out the stock battery tray for a larger group ? OR Does Odyssey or other brand have a drop in 1000 + CCA with the right facing terminals? Future plans is more off road lighting and way better stereo.
For all of my vehicles, They use a 24M (group 78) that appears to be the same size as group 34 which is what is stock in KJ . 10' wide x 7 1/4 tall x 6 1/2 deep. but limits me to current 800CCA
For my other vehicles I use the 78 series in 800 Marine or Auto so that they fit on other vehicles/boat etc..and I like to have a new spare on hand at all times. Got 1 ready to go right now and it looks like it will fit but..
I would rather have a quality 1000+ CCA...

Is there an Odyssey battery with the correct terminals that will give me 1000+CCA that will drop right in, got model # ?
And No I don't want an Optima...I want more power than that, and use a regular trickle charger.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be able to fit the PC1500,it's a group 34/78 withe the correct terminals.I had to modify my battery tray but I have a '02 that came with the puny group 25 battery.The PC1500 has well over 1000cca's,and forget about a standard trickle charger also,they require the same charging as a Optima battery.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks TjKJ !
By the looks of the dimensions of the PC-1500 it is about .85 wider (almost an inch) than the stock series 34.
I think the sides of the battery tray would have to be cut to get that bad boy in there.
What makes these batteries require a different charger?
Looks like the charger recommended is the minimum 25 amp (wow) $$.
Has anyone else installed a PC-1500 (your tray cutting experience?) and according to the Odyssey site the correct model would then be 34/78 PC-1500.
Thanks for help, I am getting closer to more lights and the right battery model.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TjKJ !
By the looks of the dimensions of the PC-1500 it is about .85 wider (almost an inch) than the stock series 34.
I think the sides of the battery tray would have to be cut to get that bad boy in there.
What makes these batteries require a different charger?
Looks like the charger recommended is the minimum 25 amp (wow) $$.
Has anyone else installed a PC-1500 (your tray cutting experience?) and according to the Odyssey site the correct model would then be 34/78 PC-1500.
Thanks for help, I am getting closer to more lights and the right battery model.
The PC1500 is a dry cell battery,AGM style sorta like the Optima but dry.I had to cut one side of my battery tray just to fit a group 35/78 Optima,but again my KJ is intended for a group 25 battery,and ended up cutting both sides of the tray to fit the PC1500.If you only have to cut one side cut the fender side.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When I stated that the size was almost an inch wider, From the Odyssey web site, their measurements were for the top edge of the battery, not the bottom!
I was able to measure today an Odyssey PC-1500 DT (dual terminal) battery.
Here is the real bottom measurements: 10 1/8th inches wide, X 7.5 " Tall X 6.5" deep.
It appears based on these measurements that the Odyssey should drop directly into the stock KJ tray, without cutting!:)

Will confirm and post back in the near future once I have one of these bad boys installed.;)Wow1.gif

Ryan, maybe you should ask for one of these instead of the yellow Optima for X-Mas.
These are even safe inside as far as I know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online