Bad U joint or 4WD problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 4HI today cruising around at about 20 MPH, I noticed this "helicopter" type sound and that my Jeep just overall isn't sounding right. The noise definitely doesn't sound like it's coming from the rear so I'm hoping it's a bad U joint and not something wrong with my 4WD system.

Have a listen and let me know what you think:
You must be registered for see images attach

The sound isn't occurring in 2WD or when I coast in 4HI. Only seems to happen when I accelerate in 4HI.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Check the rear boot on your front driveshaft for cracks, rips, etc. The noises you describe are the same as what my failing DS sounded like when it went. I could only hear it in 4WD as well.

You may just need to replace the CV end, but I would get underneath and check it out first. The condition of the boot is usually a very good indicator.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to guess that a likely cause was my dad having spun my tires in 4LO during the last storm? There was a little bit of a "pop" sound that he said he thought was just the Flowmaster.