Bad oil leak- burning and smoking from exhaust headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ben94gt

Reaction score
So my wifes jeep (03 liberty, V6) has a really bad oil leak from somewhere. The oil is leaking onto the passenger side exhaust and it is causing it to smoke pretty heavily. The passenger side valve cover was leaking but I just replaced that today and it did not seem to do the trick. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and what the cause was. Im really hoping it is not the rear seal. If anyone has any suggestions though please let me know.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recheck that valve cover gasket and lf you did get oil on the manifold when changing the gasket it can smoke till it's burned off.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd recheck that valve cover gasket and lf you did get oil on the manifold when changing the gasket it can smoke till it's burned off.

The driver's side will be much easier to change - in my experience the driver's side leak created a bigger issue because of the drop down to the catalytic converter. Seemed to smoke more when the oil hit it.

Like Porkchop said, you may have residual oil on the passenger exhaust manifold/cat resulting in some leftover oil burning.

Bob

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine just started to smell like crap the other day. I can see oil leaking on the manifolds and pooled on top of the passenger side head near the spark plugs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine just started to smell like crap the other day. I can see oil leaking on the manifolds and pooled on top of the passenger side head near the spark plugs.

Time to take 30 minutes and change it then
or 15 if you have tools handy and don't drink beer while doing it:Boo:

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got plenty of tools and beer! I'm about to order the gaskets from advance auto for 35 bucks with a discount, anywhere cheaper?

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go with the FelPro brand and be sure to use the new grommets that come with the gaskets.

Bob

I purchased the victor gaskets from the local parts store - cost with tax was 74 dollars, next time I won't be in a hurry and just get them from rockauto for 25 dollars.

They were made in china also..

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the fel pro gaskets with all new grommets for 35 at advance auto. Came with a gasket for the oil filler too....

What is the torque specs for the valve cover bolts? I don't have a service manual.

And I destroyed a vacuum connector, the t from the air box line. Where can I source that besides the dealer?

Last edited:

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found a replacement t connector made by gates at oreilly. Also managed to destroy the PVC valve so I got a new one. Start to finish, with two trips to the parts store and a lunch break it took 4 hours. Probably less than 2 if I powered right through it. I torqued the covers to 105 inch pounds I found online. No more leaks! I found some small cracks in the old gasket before I took them off. They were hard and brittle, just like half the electrical connectors under the hood.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Also managed to destroy the PVC valve so I got a new one.

Ain't that PCV valve a treat! I've broken several. Usually when I'm trying to change them anyway. Strange location and valve design, but it works. I usually order a few at a time with any order from Rock Auto.

:badidea:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the fel pro gaskets with all new grommets for 35 at advance auto. Came with a gasket for the oil filler too....

What is the torque specs for the valve cover bolts? I don't have a service manual.

And I destroyed a vacuum connector, the t from the air box line. Where can I source that besides the dealer?

The bolt torque is 105 inch/lbs - basically just snug them down firmly and don't worry too much about the exact torque.

As for the vacuum "t" connector - auto parts stores carry a variety of vacuum fittings. You should be able to find an appropriate fitting.

EDIT: Didn't realize you'd take care of all this already. Sorry for the redundancy :disgust:

Bob

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep got it all buttoned up. Just need some hoat coolant to replace what came out when I removed the heater hoses. Those hard plastic lines suck on the jeep, I'm going to replace them with some gates rubber vac line.

dromaine72

Reaction score
BAD oil leak onto manifold

Okay my buddy is having the same issue with his 04 liberty with the 3.7. I took the skid plate off and pressure washed it good. The valve cover gasket has a slight leak on the passenger side but not enough to produce what is smoking. It's pretty hard to see in there clearly so I was wondering what you guys replaced so I can order all of the parts at once and not have to order anything else. Can you guys give me a list of things you replaced?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just get something like in this link:

More Information for FEL-PRO VS50594R

It has the grommets and the oil filler gasket as well as good quality cover gaskets. Probably only need the passenger side but won't hurt to do both while you are in there. Don't know if you can get just one from a dealer?

The oil filler gasket is a good thing to change if it hasn't been changed before. Probably pretty squashed and may not seal that well if you reinstall the old one. Might want to grab a fresh PCV valve. If he doesn't know when it was changed last this would be a good thing to do.

More Information for STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS V373

If that doesn't solve the smoking I'd be surprised. Even a small leak will cause a great deal of smoke. It did on mine.

Latest posts

Members online