AWD (Full-time 4 wheel drive) vs. 2WD gas milage test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I had a chance to drive my 2003 KJ (with my new NP-242 T-case conversion) from Cincinnati to Minneapolis. It's a long dull drive of about 750 miles, so I thought I'd conduct another experiment on the AWD/2WD MPG controversy. As many know, I have shared the view that, contrary to popular myth, AWD (full-time, NOT part-time) will give you slightly better gas mileage than 2WD. To Quote myself the last time this case up:

"There are advantages to full-time AWD even on dry pavement. In 2wd, only 2 tires are suppling traction, while the other 2 are giving only drag (friction, resistance) in 4wd[full time], all wheels are productive members of the traction community. This results in slightly better gas mileage... Only slightly, because the 4wd drive train also gives additional drag, but not so much that it completely off-sets the traction advantage."

Well, I attracted some challengers with that statement. I shared the admittedly short test of this theory that I had performed in our 2001 WJ. I drove the same circuitous route of about 20 miles, once in 2wd once in full time 4wd in close succession. Using the overhead computer, the difference was about 1 MPG better in full-time 4wd.

If you do a search on this, you will see that I once said the route was 15 miles. I remeasured the route & it is indeed about 20 miles. But no matter! I have a new test!

I had the cruise set to 73.5 MPH (measured by GPS) I switched back & forth from 2WD to AWD every 20 miles. I did this to minimize the effects of changing wind, weather, & topography. Traffic also played a factor. Going more than 20 miles before having to slow down for construction, or running across slow cars in the passing lane is nearly impossible. I steered clear of the Chicago area traffic & tolls, by going through Bloomington, IL. & I ran into heavy traffic & severe storms from Rockford, IL up to La Crosse, WI, so those miles weren't tested. I also threw out any samples that were tainted by involuntary slow-downs, which are always followed by a voluntary speed-up. In all, I obtained ten 20 mile 2WD samples, and nine AWD samples... 200 miles 2wd, 180 AWD, 380 miles total.

Results:

2WD= 17.13 MPG
AWD= 17.36 MPG

Before anyone gets too excited... let me point out that if I had used Full-Time 4WD for the whole trip of 750 miles, I would have saved only 0.6 gallons over doing the whole trip in 2wd.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, switching from 2wd to 4wd shouldnt change the mpg at all.. All it does is put torque to the front wheels..

I understand what you are saying by the front wheels dragging in 2wd and pulling in 4wd...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Nah, not really. The reason why I don't run AWD (4FT) is because I don't like how much rougher and noisier it makes the Lib run.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I never would have thought that. Always thought 4wd would burn way more gas screwy.gif

Here's why... the front axle moves anyway while in 4WD. This is a much more reliable setup than locking/unlocking hubs. The cost of this setup is gas mileage. The connection is made at the transfer case, which gives the axle power instead of just rolling along like it does in 2WD.

wildrussian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was you going 73.5 mph in full time? I thought you weren't supposed to go faster than 55 in full time?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried my own test on this a while back out of curiosity. The difference in gas mileage in my results were also insignificant and comparable with KJ pilot's . The reason I think is in what Marlon said. The axles are already spinning anyway. I had Warn locking hubs before and with them off nothing is moving until you manually lock them. Then there is more of a difference.

As to shifting in and out of full-time, you are not supposed to do that at speeds over 55 per the manual...... But one time I was on the interstate and it started pouring rain real hard. I backed off the gas and reached down and pulled into full-time and noticed I was going 70 at that instant. It went in nice and smooth and engaged properly and worked fine. I wouldn't do this again and I'm not recommending it. I'm just saying what happened.

Dave