Advice/discussion needed: DTTs. re-gear also?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
pretty much how i've driven every car I've ever owned. :D

problem with this thing is, with the )$(#$)#($ drive by wire I can't ever tell if I'm in/out of the power band, or if the computer is just being a ****. sometimes it goes like stink, other times not.

and cardhu... raises an interesting point :D

It's the computer. It learns how you drive and "knows you didn't mean THAT" even though you did. I tooled slowly around neighborhoods all day for a job and almost caused a head-on when I tried a pass on the drive home. Mine's a CRD with an automatic so kicking the overdrive out helps. Italian tune-ups bring the perk back. If I do several fast passes it wants to zoom all the time and I have to resort to braking to bring it back from ticket-land.

Really hate having someone elses' foot in the equation. If they're not willing to take part in the head-on they need to get out of the jeep!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's the computer. It learns how you drive and "knows you didn't mean THAT" even though you did. !

Big brother is watching. I wrap my foot in tin foil so it doesn't see how I use the gas pedal. It works. :gr_grin:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so anyone done a carb conversion on one of these things? :D

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pretty much how i've driven every car I've ever owned. :D

problem with this thing is, with the )$(#$)#($ drive by wire I can't ever tell if I'm in/out of the power band, or if the computer is just being a ****. sometimes it goes like stink, other times not.

and cardhu... raises an interesting point :D

"2006 KJ" username, olive drab custom painted KJ. had a manual and 4.10s. Pretty sure he thought 4.10s were a great choice, might have been posted on lost. was also 245 75 16s iirc.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 4.10s, and DTTs in both the front and rear axles, at times i regret putting the DTT in the rear axle, (2wd and slippery conditions now make it a bit too easy to have the a$$ end slide out), although i suspect the 2006 esp/abs systems are a good portion of the problem as well. 4wd however now means the jeep is very easy to control.

i do at times 2nd guess the switch to 4.10s, (passing someone on the highway is a bit of a chore), but stop/go driving is much more pleasant. again, big/heavy tires and the 42rle play a big part in that as well.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at times i regret putting the DTT in the rear axle, (2wd and slippery conditions now make it a bit too easy to have the a$$ end slide out), although i suspect the 2006 esp/abs systems are a good portion of the problem as well. 4wd however now means the jeep is very easy to control.

The stock rear trac-lok has the same side-effect... and that's without ABS or ESP. 4wd smartens it up though.

The effect is minimized a lot with a longer wheelbase like my fullsize pickups.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
"2006 KJ" username, olive drab custom painted KJ. had a manual and 4.10s. Pretty sure he thought 4.10s were a great choice, might have been posted on lost. was also 245 75 16s iirc.

NO he had 265-75-16s and yes a manual with 4.10s
Good friend of mine just talked to him the other day

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
i have 4.10s, and DTTs in both the front and rear axles, at times i regret putting the DTT in the rear axle, (2wd and slippery conditions now make it a bit too easy to have the a$$ end slide out), although i suspect the 2006 esp/abs systems are a good portion of the problem as well. 4wd however now means the jeep is very easy to control.

i do at times 2nd guess the switch to 4.10s, (passing someone on the highway is a bit of a chore), but stop/go driving is much more pleasant. again, big/heavy tires and the 42rle play a big part in that as well.

I had DTTs in front and rear of the 03, removed the rear and sold it, next will be an ARB and not anything else
Front does great though

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score

has bullet casings frenched into the door handles? if so I almost bought that ride. kinda wish now I had.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NO he had 265-75-16s and yes a manual with 4.10s
Good friend of mine just talked to him the other day

even better. Would still do 4.10s.

That KJ was also really nice with that paint and the other choices.

Last edited: