4HI question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron Burgundy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death but i can get a pretty good deal on a 2004 LTD with 52,000 miles. it does not have select trac it just has command trac. can you use 4HI for driving on straight roads that have snowy patches or that are mostly snow covered at speeds no more then 30 to 40 miles per hour? if not when is the only time you can use it.? thanks

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know the LTD came with the command track
I thought that if it was LTD with 4wd it had the 242
*note I know the T-cases as NP231 and NP242

That being said you can use the 231 under those conditions but it could cause issues
I have left min in 4wd low and drive on a short stretch of paved road to get to another section of trail
mine being a TJ ,with a Detroit locker out back making even more of a bind
The way I see it if you know that you need the "full time" mode then buy a Jeep
that has what you want/need

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Ron, been using the 231 (what you have) for a long time. Most winters, 4wd isn't even needed unless there's a few inches on the ground

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally if the roads are icy/questionable ya I use part-time in command-trac, just take it easy at the speed you have mentioned. Safer to have it on than have an $7000 ooopsie like "LUKE"
Just keep in mind that in turns you want to go much slower and not slip from snow onto a dry patch in a steep turn.
If you are going straight, should not be a problem at all.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply everyone, i have also heard that if you have good tires on you do not need 4HI unless the roads are really snow covered. so I am going to get the local dealershop to look it over before i buy.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also have the 231, and during the Cleveland winter with my new tires, i rarely ever used 4HI. 2WD is fine even in a couple inches, just take it a little easier and you should be fine :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are just about to buy why not try and find one with Selec-trac?
If it has the Goodyear ST tires on it, get a discount! Those tires are unsafe! Wet or dry/forget snow.
I think they forgot two letters in between those tires: Good Year S--T.

Last edited:

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this past winter I had fresh Cooper Discoverer ATRs on and 2hi was okay. But when negotiating hilly starts and steep hills the 4wd is superior and I usually just keep it in 4hi in the snow. Plus I like being able to power slide around vacant corners

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know the LTD came with the command track
I thought that if it was LTD with 4wd it had the 242
My '02 is a Limited and came with a 231.The 242 was a option on all KJ's that have a auto trans(no option for manuals) and standard on US CRD's.

For the OP....................

Even going straight you will still have binding due to slightly different gear ratio's in the F/R diffs since the F/R diffs are not the same kind(D30A and 8.25).A Rubicon TJ that has D44's F/R will not have binding in 4wd and only going straight since it has the same axle(D44 and D44) front and rear.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 is a Limited and came with a 231.The 242 was a option on all KJ's that have a auto trans(no option for manuals) and standard on US CRD's.

For the OP....................

Even going straight you will still have binding due to slightly different gear ratio's in the F/R diffs since the F/R diffs are not the same kind(D30A and 8.25).A Rubicon TJ that has D44's F/R will not have binding in 4wd and only going straight since it has the same axle(D44 and D44) front and rear.

I'm always kinda shocked as to how much you know about KJs, Jeeps and cars in general!
What do you do for a living?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys you dont have to be anything special to know Jeeps
Just addicted
I know guys who are operators at chem. plants but know every nut and bolt on a given Jeep
or guys who make cabinets for a living but BUILD full on rock buggies out of bone stock YJ's and TJ's
we are talking 60's ,full hydro steering ,40's, the works
and have a garage with the tools to do it

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You can use the 4WD Part Time going straight since the wheels are all turning at relatively the same speed. Just for the love of everything good and yummy do NOT turn on dry surfaces as this is what causes serious damage over time. Two different axles, causing binding? Well... maybe, but a very negligible amount. Nowhere near anything to be concerned about. I've driven for over 100 miles in 4WD Part Time, in relatively straight lines with no issues.

Just do what everyone else does, when you need it, use it. When you don't, just use 2WD.

He work's at Firestone.

Certified Master Tech I believe.

OK, I'm a computer guy. Explain that one.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Better than looking for a Jeep with 242, just get a set of kick ass tires. Those will take you further than 4 full time will. JMO

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Better than looking for a Jeep with 242, just get a set of kick ass tires. Those will take you further than 4 full time will. JMO

x over9000
You can use the 4WD Part Time going straight since the wheels are all turning at relatively the same speed. Just for the love of everything good and yummy do NOT turn on dry surfaces as this is what causes serious damage over time. Two different axles, causing binding? Well... maybe, but a very negligible amount. Nowhere near anything to be concerned about. I've driven for over 100 miles in 4WD Part Time, in relatively straight lines with no issues.

Actually, marlonius, the ratio in the 8.25 is 4.10 and the ratio in the D30 is closer to 4.11. It will cause a good deal of binding in a straight line on dry pavement.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just do what everyone else does, when you need it, use it. When you don't, just use 2WD.

OK, I'm a computer guy. Explain that one.
You will get bind even when going straight in a KJ in part time 4wd,you just don't hear the effects(tire scrub) but after enough binding has occured you will hear a bang,then your stranded.

Actually, marlonius, the ratio in the 8.25 is 4.10 and the ratio in the D30 is closer to 4.11. It will cause a good deal of binding in a straight line on dry pavement.
Actually with 4.10's in a KJ the front is 4.09's and the rear is 4.10's.The front will always spin faster with mix matched axles.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm aware of these things. My only point was that it isn't as big of an issue as TURNING while in 4WD PT.

.... now THAT can be a major problem.

My question is....

If a KJ with 4.10s.... the rear is 4.10 and the front is 4.09, does the same apply with 3.73s? Rear is 3.73, front is 3.72?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm aware of these things. My only point was that it isn't as big of an issue as TURNING while in 4WD PT.

.... now THAT can be a major problem.

My question is....

If a KJ with 4.10s.... the rear is 4.10 and the front is 4.09, does the same apply with 3.73s? Rear is 3.73, front is 3.72?
The binding will be the exact same as turning,just not as evident when going straight as you will not hear the tire scrub.

As far as the gear spread for 3.73's I do not know,I believe the front is 3.73 and the rear is 3.74 or 3.75.I know my HP44/D60 combo is 5.13/5.14.

Latest posts

Members online