3.7L intake posssibly fit my 2.4 Libby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 Libby with the 2.4 engine and I cannot find a air intake for it. K&N and AEM do not make one for it. I even tried to see if there was a knock off intake on ebay. The throttle body and factory air box look similar to the 3.7. Any input/opinions?

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 24

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to sure how mechanically inclined you are, but you could always build one?
I built mine between today and yesterday with a piece of sheetmetal to make a heat shield and the cone main pipe and elbow I had leftover from my old XJ. I only bought the elbow which ran me $9 at autozone.
I also ran PVC pipes from the fog light hole to the bottom of the newly made box to make it a true CAI.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're doing it for more power it will not help anyways. The best all around setup is the stock box and a Amsoil filter with a hose going to the grill. After 4 different setups over 140,000 miles best power, best mileage this way

auburn4193

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted the intake to gain more power, I've always been told it's better to have an intake because the engine "gets more air". It would also be nice to up the mpg's of the 4-****** even more.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Leave the stock intake as-is.

Cold air intakes and all that jazz just...well...ask Tom about Larry.

Best thing you can do for your 2.4 is just keep a decent air filter in it. Regular paper OEM replacement. K&N won't do anything but let dirt in your engine. The OEM piping is designed to offer the best midrange power, which is where your KJ operates. You might gain one or two horsepower on the big end of the tach, but that's not where your 2.4 needs more power.

kckj

Reaction score
I also had a difficult time finding a high airflow filter.

You can find a K&N filter for a wrangler 2.4 which has the same air box.
I did. That being said, now that it needs to be cleaned/washed, I put a new paper filter back in, instead of spending more money on the cleaning oils for the k&n.

I can't say that i noticed a difference either way for performance. Just one of those things you have to try and see if it works for you. Didn't make enough difference for me to keep.

I'll sell it to you for $20 shipped. I think i paid around 55. you'll have to clean it but i can guarantee it fits.

Red_KJ_666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3MPG with a Drop in K&N.... Enough Said. Some people like to push the product they Like some People don't understand that you still need to Maintain a K&N either. One Cleaning kit will Clean/Re-Oil your filter 3 Times at least. Keep it Clean and it will treat you Right. Also 3.7L and 2.4L CAI's are the same as far as I know. My Beef with a CAI is intaking water. If you want a Easy Do it Yourself CAI just for the sake of trying it out buy a Filter anyone of these filters are Cheap and will fit directly on the Stock intake tube of our Libby's. http://www.toucanindustries.com/ind...src=shopping&category=Performance Air Filters Then you have to Jury Rig the EGR tube to your intake tube.

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
3MPG with a Drop in K&N.... Enough Said. Some people like to push the product they Like some People don't understand that you still need to Maintain a K&N either. One Cleaning kit will Clean/Re-Oil your filter 3 Times at least. Keep it Clean and it will treat you Right.

Absolute BS. Going to call it now.

If that were even REMOTELY CLOSE to the truth, manufacturers would use them in their production cars WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I ran K&Ns for years from everything from 32 Fords, 55 Chevs with big blocks, Harleys my 98 Ford F150 Nascar Edition, 3 different XJs I bet at least 20 different vehicles, so I know how to clean them and how to oil them. Installed one on the KJ and ran it for 35000 miles, tried several different setups with it, went back to stock air box, 3 inch hose from the radiator and Amsoil filter, best power, best mileage, everything way better
You can have your K&Ns on a Lib I'll keep getting better mileage and cleaner pipes;)

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the greatest restriction in the intake system is the tube running from the airbox to the throttle body. The corrugated section creates turbulence as the air passes through it.

I haven't done this mod on my Liberty yet, but I did on my Magnum 5.7 Hemi...

I disassembled the intake tract and cut out the "accordion" section and replaced it with an appropriately sized aluminum tube, added a drop in K&N filter and was done with it. I left the airbox stock, it draws cooler, ambient air than what can be found in the engine compartment.

Not having access to a dyno, I can't claim any HP increases, however the engine does seem to have a bit better throttle response and it "pulls" a little stronger at the top end. Of course, the latter could just be that it's now got a little more aggressive intake roar.