3.7 head gasket failures.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
With a blown radiator side tank the engine heats up quickly.

Yeah, it sure does start heating up quickly. Not that ThunderbirdJunkie would know anything about that, what with being on radiator #4 and all ;)

The KJ, with it's 16 lb pressure cap, doesn't boil the coolant until 260*.
WJs, with their 18-20 lb caps, don't boil over until the coolant gets up to 266-272*.

ThunderbirdJunkie was more referring to the 4.0's uncanny ability to dribble whatever fluid it can find through whatever orifice happens to be available to it.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it sure does start heating up quickly. Not that ThunderbirdJunkie would know anything about that, what with being on radiator #4 and all ;)

You have had this happen 4 times?
You must be registered for see images attach

ThunderbirdJunkie was more referring to the 4.0's uncanny ability to dribble whatever fluid it can find through whatever orifice happens to be available to it.

Well, I have to agree with you on that.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM cars in the late 70's had the most bogus temp gauges. Keep people from flipping out if they saw their engine at 220 instead of the previously normal 180.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up replacing the radiator at a wal-mart parking lot. Then, after I replaced the radiator I couldn't get it started. So we went to the local JY and got a used starter.

Thing is, my father was on a business trip while I went on vacation with my mother (in the WJ). We planned to meet at Asheville NC, and that is where the radiator exploded.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I find that almost every person that has had their 3.7 liter engine fail, or has had mechanical problems (In any way, shape or form. Here in British Columbia, Canada. Anyway.)
Has Rat bagged the engine {and transmission!}
I read it over and over again!
Foot to the floor, thrash it off road, get maximum air. (So they can post "Their cool pictures" on other forums...)

At the end of the day, it is the vehicle operators fault for major engine
[and gearbox] problems!
I'm not saying that it is the current owners fault!
Unless you bought the KJ new!
But like I say, I see it everyday. And it's not just Jeep Liberty's, it's every vehicle on the road!
People buy a vehicle and rat bag it!

I have 188,000.0 Kilometers/116,817,8.0 miles with absolutely NO problems.
It doesn't use oil, it shifts the way it is ment to shift, and drives like it is a new truck!

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A technician at the Chrysler dealer said that engine problems are fairly common with the 3.7, 4.7, and 5.7 engines. Particularly with the valve springs, timing chain tensioners, and the heads.

I wonder if it was just a fluke? My father drives like an old person and the KJ has never been off-road.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If/when you install a real temp gauge clue us in how you did it ok?? I have read a few ways to do it so i'm just waiting to see how you do it also.

The Pontiac Montana we used to own before the KJ would scare you in the summer with the AC on, the temp would shoot up to just before the red and then the fans would kick to high and the temp would come back down to the normal range. It would cycle constantly like that. Nothing wrong with it, just the way they operated, the high speed didn't turn on for the fans until 210, then there was an AC cutoff if it got to 220 or higher.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
A technician at the Chrysler dealer said that engine problems are fairly common with the 3.7, 4.7, and 5.7 engines. Particularly with the valve springs, timing chain tensioners, and the heads.

I wonder if it was just a fluke? My father drives like an old person and the KJ has never been off-road.

Hmm. ThunderbirdJunkie works with a guy that was a tech at a Chrysler dealership for several years. Apparently the only "chronic" issue with them is valve springs.

Sure, once in a while you get a bum timing chain/tensioner, and the occasional cracked head from overheating...

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done replacing the cylinder head, everything went smoothly. The engine started fine but there is a random misfire at idle now, it seems like it's coming from one cylinder. As soon as the engine RPM is higher than 1K the engine operates smoothly, no stalling either.

The #3 spark plug was soaked in coolant prior to replacing the head so maybe the coil got damaged? No codes yet, but I know that one of the o2 sensors is also bad.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try swapping the ignition coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows that coil. Otherwise it might be another problem, valve or??

And definitely replace the plugs to rule that out!

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try swapping the ignition coil with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows that coil. Otherwise it might be another problem, valve or??

And definitely replace the plugs to rule that out!

I went on a 20 mile drive and it runs smooth now, however I will still replace all of the plugs and the #3 coil. I checked valves before I installed the head.

Now there is a new problem, the radiator drain **** started leaking! Ugh...
I bought a new drain **** already.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the computer finally gave me a code for the coil so I replaced it. The Jeep now runs smoother than it ran after the last time we had the heads removed. I also replaced the drain ****, so now everything is fixed!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, the computer finally gave me a code for the coil so I replaced it. The Jeep now runs smoother than it ran after the last time we had the heads removed. I also replaced the drain ****, so now everything is fixed!

Sounds like you finally got it running perfect. Good.

Dave

Olin

Reaction score
What if oil is clean but there is gas in yhe coolant? I think got duped into buying this liberty... Sad faces... Ive only driven it 400 or less miles overheated once but then nothing in the heat and humidity of pa. Started regularly checking coolant and oil. No drop in either fluid. Then today it got up to 3/4 on the temp gauge drove it a few blocks and it went back diwn to half. Parked picked up some shelves bs'ed a bit then went to leave. (20 to 30 minuets) wouldn't start. Left it for a few hours and a few beers then returned to the scene of the crime. To try to get i diagnoses It started right up. Drove it a couple blocks home temp shot up to mid but stayed there. Popped the hood at home... Zero coolant and it smelled more like lighter fliud in the res then coolant. But the oil is still brand new looking. Does that definitely mean blown casket? Maybe she just changed the oil before the sale to hide it? It also had a misfure code and a o2 sensor code. I cleared the misfire with wires a couple weeks ago. Im not a car guy by any means just hoping to be pointed in the right direction

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would first suggest that you start a NEW thread and not attaching your post to an old thread (2009)
That said...

Your driving it and allowing it to overheat could have caused a head gasket failure or a warped aluminum head...Then again a blown head gasket may have been there when you bought it... There are liquid "fixes" being sold over the counter that can temporarily seal a bad head gasket (note the "temporarily") ... Sounds like this is the case... I would suggest removing the oil drain plug and noticing what first comes out...Coolant or what looks like chocolate milk? Then the coolant was forced into the oil pan... An over filled measurement on the oil dipstick will probably be indicated... The coolant may have also gone out of the exhaust...

Very common overheating problems come from a bad water pump dumping the coolant out of the weep hole on Jeeps...You think there is coolant because you just checked it but it's gone and the engine overheats which causes the above problems...

If there is indeed gas in the coolant you need to find WHERE the gas and coolant come close enough for the exchange...

A head gasket has
1 compression areas
2 coolant areas
3 oil passage areas
4 possibly access to the outside world

A hot engine can also push raw gas past the damaged gasket and into the coolant also it is possible that exhaust gasses "might" be escaping the piston cylinder into the coolant because of a failed gasket.. (Have a leak-down test run) but I would doubt that the smell of gas would come from that...

Like I said a leak-down test by a competent mechanic may show where things are going and left over gunk from a head gasket sealer may also provide a clue to your problems

Sweepstakes

Reaction score
I was just told on Thursday that I have a blown head gasket. The mechanic said they did a head gasket test and it indicates I have a blown head gasket cause there's a lot of white smoke and some water coming out the tailpipe. My liberty overheated once and all the coolant came out but has never over heated after that (that was in February).they said I shouldn't rebuild an engine with over 200,000 miles on it and I should get a new engine. They quoted me $7,000 to fix it. I'm lost for words. I haven't driven this car in like 4 months it's just been sitting there when it just started running rough. 1st mechanic thought I got bad gas. Flushed it, put new gas still running like crap. Second mechanic didn't even want to look at it. The last mechanic just told me it's a blown head gasket. I'm lost for words and don't know what to do please help. 2002 Jeep liberty 3.7L BY. Thanks for yalls help. I love this Jeep and don't want to give up on it.

John P.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would skip trying the head gasket in a bottle fix only because I wouldn't want to chance the stuff getting into the heater core. Used engines are plentiful and cheap compared to other types of cars. I would find one I liked and drop it in. We have plenty of working space so with some time and patience you could probably do this yourself granted you have a place to perform the work.