2003 Liberty Limited 4WD issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying that I haven't had a chance to do too much testing. The weather here has been pretty snowy/icy lately, so I haven't been able to test on dry surfaces to see if there is any difference.

I may just be paranoid, this is the first Liberty I have owned, and the first winter using it.

Here is the issue:

When driving my Liberty, when switching to either 4wd Part or Full time, it doesn't always seem to want to engage, or engage properly.

(I am always going under 45mph when shifting to 4wd, let off the gas, then shift to 4wd, I think that is the proper way at least)

Also, the light doesn't always come on when I engage Full time 4wd (that may just be the sensor)

I haven't lost traction, or fish tailed after putting it into either mode of 4wd, but it does not seem to gain any additional traction either, it just sometimes seems to stay in 2wd.

I understand the difference between part and full time, so that if I am on ice, neither version of 4wd would help.

I just didn't know if anyone else has had the same/similar issue, or has any ideas of things I could try to troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the 242 t-case also. It does shift real smooth and especially when I go to full-time it is so smooth that I wonder if it shifted in and look to see that the light is on. I use mine all the time. Sometimes I leave it in full-time due to the roads around here. Depends on the weather. On snowy roads shifting from full-time to pat-time I can feel the difference.

Sounds like you are doing it properly. If the part-time light doesn't come on sometimes when you shift it, maybe the transfer case position switch is not working right or it didn't shift all the way into full-time?

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it is time to check the TC position sensor out re the light.
What kind of tires do you have on the kJ?
Traction in a heavier vehicle like Liberty requires the best tires money can buy for winter...
I run 17 inch 245-65 currently in GoodYear Wrangler Silent Armors. Great wet and snow traction.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47430

apukareem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Dave

Indeed it shifts real smooth for me, I never notice any jarring or rough riding after shifting into part or full time.
I want to say the part time light always comes on, its only the full time light that only sometimes comes on.
Even today, I was at an intersection, and there was some ice on the road, when making a right turn I had to put it into 4wd, and even in full time my rear tires were spinning like crazy, and i was barely getting any traction, which makes me think it didn't engage properly. I didn't have a chance to put it into part time to see if it made any difference since there was traffic.
I will try to find an empty parking lot tomorrow and test the different types of 4wd.

@LibertyTC

I definitely had overlooked my tires when thinking about all of this. It has some stock Goodyear wrangler tires that were on it when I bought it used about a year ago, and their tread is down to 4 or 5 32nds, so they are pretty low, which could be a factor as well.

I haven't ever bought snow tires before, and I do a lot of highway driving to work everyday, so come summer I would rather find a more efficient highway type of tire, and just deal with the tires I have for now.

In the next week or so I will be taking my Jeep into the dealer for a recall that I never knew about, on the upper ball joints.
I will have them take a look at it at the transfer case sensor and position switch

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Stock ST or SRA... is all of your traction problems!
Have someone observe all 4 wheel spin on Full Time.
Right after buying the KJ, I found out how bad the stock ST-SRA's were.
It was raining hard and on a steep upward slope, I literally had to engage the part-time to get moving while those behind me were honking.
How embarrassing! And that was with 80 % tread. You are on snow/slippery with those tires...ah very dangerous.
Needless to say the KJ was in the shop the next week getting some real Skins.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think TC is right. From the way you are explaining it you need better tires. You need a good A/T type tire for your type of driving. They will be good on the highway and on snow/ice. You will think you have a whole different jeep. Probably nothing wrong with the transfer case shifting at all.

Dave

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't want to start a flurry of activity about tires, but my 2cents.

Firestone Destination AT's for lower price. Good highway manners and great off-road, except for mud.

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac if you can afford the difference. Better tire, tougher tire, better performance. Snow rated and excellent highway manners.

I'm currently running the Firestones but will be changing to the Goodyears when it is time for new tires.