2002 Liberty vibration tonite!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GottiJr

Reaction score
New to the forum here cause Im searching for some kind of answer tonite for a problem I encountered just now. We were coming home tonite from a short trip and Im about 2 miles from my house when all of sudden when I let off the gas pedal cause of a slower car in front of me ....my liberty had this weird vibration noise that you can clearing hear in the cabin.......you can also feel it in the car. When I get back on the gas its fine, let off and the vibration and noise start up....Stopping at redlights same deal....fine going up to them let off the gas vibration and noise starts up. I thought maybe a wheel weight fell off but nope. The car is very driveable but the noise is telling me something just happened.:eek: Almost sounds like Im going over rumble strips when I leave off the gas, just not as loud.

My one buddy thinks maybe a drive shaft bearing after he inspected it in my garage. But we not 100% sure. Just wondering if anyone had this experience out there? Just trying to get information on this before I head to the garage tomorrow with it so I dont get totally raked over the coals.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help in advance guys!

Last edited:

GottiJr

Reaction score
Hey thanks for responding! I just dropped my liberty off at the garage so its there early in the morning. I would just like to go in there tomorrow with some knowledge.

yeah to me the vibration/sound is gone when Im driving over 30mph. When I slow down to stop or let up on the gas and drop the speed on 30 MPH and below it is very present. This just started last nite. The car was running fine the whole trip...i get about 2 miles from my house...I had to slow down from 55 to 25 to go thru the neighborhood and also for a car infront of me..that is when it started. The whole trip it was fine ....I would have noticed it if it was doing it earlier in the nite. So it just happened.

Last edited:

GottiJr

Reaction score
transfer case

well was at the garage today and they are keepin my liberty for a few days. They believe it maybe in the transfer case. Maybe a bearing...but if not the bearing I need a whole new case.(blarg) anyone have a cost on a transfer case for the 02 liberty? they are telling me aprox. 2,000 dollars. They put the blame on me basically cause according to there records the transfer case oil hasnt been changed. My point was...look..when I come in here for my routine service (oil change, tires, etc.) why dont they mention I should do this? They are quick to mention that I should flush my radiator out when I need it. Why not just say hey, u should do this too! Im not a car expert!:mad: Guess I learned my lesson if its not the bearing.

GottiJr

Reaction score
wow sorry dude! new here! I dont even know what KJ means

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:confused:
wow sorry dude! new here! I dont even know what KJ means
Careful, you might scare the French dude and he'll bring NATO in on you(blarg)

The KJ are Libertys up till 07. In 08 the Liberty was improved sooo much that it required a new designation... alas, the KK.

Anyways, you are always welcome here. Yes, your post would get a better viewing in the KJ section... maybe if some of the trolls around here were smarter;) And besides, we have moderators on here that can move post that are MISTAKENLY posted in the wrong thread.

Good luck dude. Hope you get your mess fixed... and yea, the stealership should have recommended service... but hey, I have an 85 F150 setting in the yard with the original fluid in the TC:eek: and never the first problem:confused:

land_shark

Reaction score
I'm experiencing the exact same thing. I drove from Iowa City to Colorado Springs on Friday and when I got into town I noticed the same vibrations you've mentioned. I was battling a crosswind the whole ******* way out here, plus when I checked my tire pressure in CO it had raised to about 50psi (altitude, I'm guessing)...

..anyway, I'm wondering if that was a recipe for some cupping, especially in the front. I hope the shop was wrong about the T-case. I just bought my '05 used in Dec, and the 3 month warranty is up. Please keep me posted on what you find out, I'll do the same.

Good luck,
Jason

Latest posts

Members online