06 Liberty - can't fill gas tank quickly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevcules

Reaction score
Hi there

2006 Liberty with a problem trying to fill the gas tank. It takes forever to put gas in my vehicle. It's like the vent is blocked or there is a one way valve stuck closed. I researched this problem and there certainly is a problem with these vehicles. I may have to try a new filler tube if no other option is available.
Do I have the correct filler tube part # for my vehicle? # 52129222AF OR #52129234AR?

Do I have a one way valve in the filler tube or right at the neck of the gas tank? Any info is appreciated.....

thanks

djtimyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
known issue... Chrysler would have fixed it under warranty for free, but since it isn't a recall, you either need to pay them for the fix or do the repairs yourself. I also need to do this, but haven't found the time or inclination to drop the gas tank for this fix. I'm sure there are others on here that have done the fix themselves that can provide guidance.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the fix? And does this stop it from spitting gas back at me which runs all down the side of car before it shuts off the pump handle?

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the fix? And does this stop it from spitting gas back at me which runs all down the side of car before it shuts off the pump handle?
see http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-fix-kj-fuel-burp-plague-57056/

The plunger valve in the tank sticks. If it sticks open you have the gas spit out and it sticks closed or partially closed you can run the gas pump wide open. There is a youtube video somewhere that shows what the valve looks like but I can't find it again. I actually dropped the tank on mine to try to fix that stupid valve, gave up before I broke the plastic tank

Found youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DXHsacHB4 shows what the check valve looks like inside the tank on a 2006

Last edited:

kevcules

Reaction score
Anyone ever replace the whole filler tube assembly? I know they are pricey,so would a used one from a junkyard be OK? What's the newest year liberty I could get one from for my 07?
I might try taking off the hose right on the tank. Is that where the one way valve is?

thanks

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 has done this for the whole 2 years I've owned it so did the 04 i had before this one. Keep promising I'll drop the tank when I run it down near empty and never have the time when it is. Never have found the solution despite alot of searching.

2004 3.7 limited

kevcules

Reaction score
My 04 has done this for the whole 2 years I've owned it so did the 04 i had before this one. Keep promising I'll drop the tank when I run it down near empty and never have the time when it is. Never have found the solution despite alot of searching.

2004 3.7 limited

It's my fathers truck and he's going crazy with the really slow fill ups and he has patience like no other!
What I understand is that there is a vent and or a one way valve that is corrupt some how. If the valve is just inside the tank on the side where the fill hose attaches, I'll remove that and investigate soon. I also hear some people replacing the filler tube assembly which is pricey. There seems to be more than one style of tank and filler tube assemblies.I can't seem to get a definite how to on fixing this either.....Maybe once I have a look , it will be easier to understand. Dropping the tank is not something we want to do...

Last edited:

kevcules

Reaction score
We removed the inner fender wheel well to see the gas fill hoses. The one small hose that goes to a round filter on the filler neck was broken ,so we repaired it. I don't think that would cause any issue though.
I had my father run a 3/8" thick wire down the fill hose and we got it to into the tank after a few minutes of trying. Then we used a gas jug to add fuel quickly for about a minute, seems good. We must have opened the stuck valve just inside the filler neck on the tank. If that happens again, I'll lower the tank and work at the valve through the tank neck and see if we can free it up instead of replacing.....

kevcules

Reaction score
So far so good with my fathers liberty. The stuck valve in the tank filler neck must be open now after forcing it open with the wire. Dad is quite happy he can quickly fill the tank now....
On another note , he mentioned that he had no heater fan for the first two speeds. After a little research, I bought and installed a "blower motor resistor" very easily..... Total cost $25 :)

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tried fixing this issue again today disconnected the filler tube at the tank and lowered the tank slightly there's a valve just inside the nozzle going into the tank it seems to be opening. The problem is now worse than ever instead of the pump just clicking off every 5 litres or so it now still clicks off and spits fuel back at you.Grrr not happy.

2004 3.7 limited

Latest posts

Members online