What is a "Tone Wheel"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the dealer for an oil change and mentioned to them that while on the highway doing about 70 MPH - my ABS and ESP dash lights came on at the same time and I lost throttle power.....happened twice since last oil change - lasted about 15 seconds or so.

To my suprise they said they found Code C1043 (they never find anything, if there is no code it did not happen) and diagnosed the problem as "debris on tone wheel". What is a tone wheel, what does it do, and how could it have debris in it that would cause a malfunction with the aforementioned systems?

Sometimes, I get the feeling they make up crap because I am a "stupid female" and it is easier then actually answering my questions.

My apologies if this has been addressed on this forum before - but I was not able to find anything on the subject at all and I am mighty curious.. Thanks in advance for any info.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tone wheel, or "exciter ring" is a ring on the outer CV shaft that tells the computer how fast the wheel is moving.

Basically, the tone wheel is attached to the half shaft and rotates at the speed of the wheel. There is a wheel speed sensor mounted stationary on the vehicle that detects the speed the tone wheel is rotating.

This is how your vehicle knows if the wheel has traction, is spinning freely, or is locked up, etc.

There is one tone wheel on each side in the front, and one located within the rear axle.

I've had an exciter ring/tone wheel crack and split on a Ford Taurus, thus causing the ABS light to come on.

I've also has build up on and ABS wheel speed sensor cause the ABS light to come on before too.

This is a pic I found of a typical ABS wheel setup. You can see the "ABS Electo Magnetic Ring" - aka "tone wheel". You can also see the "ABS electronic sensor", aka wheel speed senor.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tone Wheel Education...Thank you!

Thank you for the tone wheel lesson. Since this device is part of the wheel assembly, I find it a bit dis-heartening that "debris" build-up can cause it to trip the ABS and ESP systems in the vehicle. I imagine this part comes in contact with much debris. I just hope this was an isolated incident... between the ESP intermittently kicking in while going around corners in 2nd gear (MT) and regularly having to replace window regulators - I could be scared...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
""
Thank you for the tone wheel lesson. Since this device is part of the wheel assembly, I find it a bit dis-heartening that "debris" build-up can cause it to trip the ABS and ESP systems in the vehicle. I imagine this part comes in contact with much debris. I just hope this was an isolated incident... between the ESP intermittently kicking in while going around corners in 2nd gear (MT) and regularly having to replace window regulators - I could be scared...

Before you hop into the jeep in the morning you are supposed to give the drivers side front tire a firm (but jentle) kick and tell your jeep to "behave today jeep"......works for me.....:D

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
""

Before you hop into the jeep in the morning you are supposed to give the drivers side front tire a firm (but jentle) kick and tell your jeep to "behave today jeep"......works for me.....:D

Dave

Mine likes it when I say "Does that feel good, Bubba, do ya like that?" when I wash it......

To the OP, I've never heardof a tone wheel, but sounds like it's the answer...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP, I've never heardof a tone wheel, but sounds like it's the answer...

I always thought "the tone wheel" was the big nob on the radio......:D

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I always thought "the tone wheel" was the big nob on the radio......:D

Dave

I don't see how that tone wheel would affect the ESP/ABS systems....now the volume nob is a different story.....:D

ranger81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
""

Dave
I do the same thing with the kids everyday....:D