Alarm with key entry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everytime I open my Jeep with the Key, it sets the alarm off. Is this normal, or do I have a malfunctioning switch in the door?

It's annoying as he!!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal?!! Wow, I don't think my alarm has ever gone off. In fact, I've always wondered what would make the Jeep alarm go off? I can go inside the jeep, set the alarm, then open the door and exit-- no alarm.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Normal?!! Wow, I don't think my alarm has ever gone off. In fact, I've always wondered what would make the Jeep alarm go off? I can go inside the jeep, set the alarm, then open the door and exit-- no alarm.
That's only possible on a Jeep WITHOUT an alarm. :)

A Liberty with the factory installed alarm will allow you to unlock the door without the alarm going off, but as soon as the door is opened, and it isn't disarmed with the keyfob.....

HONK
HONK
HONK
HONK

You get the point. :)

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's normal. huh

I think it's a pretty stupid design. Obvoiusly if I've got the transponder key, I'm the owner. They should have put some sort of transponder pickup in the key lock.

This is normal. Mine is the same way. When you pull on the door handle, it sends a signal to the BCM and disarms the alarm.

Likewise. If you roll the windows down, close the doors, and lock the jeep with the key fob. It will still arm the alarm. Try reaching in and unlocking the door. Nothing happens. As soon as you pull the door open from the outside the alarm goes off.

However, if you reach in and unlock the door, and then open the door from the inside, the alarm is disarmed and nothing happens.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theyve changed a few things through the years. On my 04 I can unlock the door with the key and open the door with no alarm. Although twice it was late at night and I was trying not to make noise and wouldnt you know it the alarm went off when I used the Key!!! I think it was mad at me or something.

Idk if they started making it so that you couldnt open the door with the key in 05 or what?? Its like that on our WK also..

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Theyve changed a few things through the years. On my 04 I can unlock the door with the key and open the door with no alarm. Although twice it was late at night and I was trying not to make noise and wouldnt you know it the alarm went off when I used the Key!!! I think it was mad at me or something.

Idk if they started making it so that you couldnt open the door with the key in 05 or what?? Its like that on our WK also..

Well that would kinda defeat the purpose of an alarm... since if that's the case, you could go nuts with a screwdriver, unlock the door using the key cylinder, like they attempted to do with my sister's KJ (yet failed miserably), and off you go. (Or in you get, depending on whether or not you have Sentry Key, which is standard on all '05+ models)