My Rear Cargo Shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the crappyish pictures, only had a few more minutes till sundown after I got back from work. You'll get the idea. I used a 4'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood from Home Depot for the bottom and walls, the Walmart replacement auto carpet, and a lot of staples as you might be able to see lol. There is also a 1"x4' wooden dowel held in by two 1" conduit clamps. The majority of staples were used for wrapping the walls of the shelf in carpet, kinda like a stitching with staples were the two ends of the carpet met. The walls are 3" high if I remember correctly, and I just eyeballed the angle of the one wall against the rear seats, set the circular saw and took the edge off. Unfortunately, all I had laying around were 2 inch drywall screws so I pre-drilled the majority of the holes. It took me in all about 6 hours to build...the carpet was the hardest and most tedious part (One roll was not enough, had to make a second trip). Tell me what ya think!

-Ryan

You must be registered for see images

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Looks really nice. As do the others that I have viewed here in the last couple of weeks.
My problem is how to design one that fits in the back yet still gives me quick access to my wheel chair.
So, yeah, I've been busy with pen and paper drawing out different variations on the same theme.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks really nice. As do the others that I have viewed here in the last couple of weeks.
My problem is how to design one that fits in the back yet still gives me quick access to my wheel chair.
So, yeah, I've been busy with pen and paper drawing out different variations on the same theme.

How is the wheelchair situated in the car now?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good scull!

The rear seats must be let down to get mine out greg. I do not believe it would go anywhere if you wrecked and the rear seats were up.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just bend those metal pieces that holds them in same place as the rear seats, at the latch. Or just put lock or piece of metal, and it would be secure in case of a crash, god forbid.

scull20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats going to hold it in place in a crash?

The dowel in the front of the shelf, the angle brackets hooked into where the rear seats hook into (debating on taking these off, they squeak metal on metal when I drive, and the rear seats themselves (when upright).

Since I've been driving with it for the past couples of days, Ive been keeping my work gloves and sneakers, the rear headrests, my ice scraper and collapsible snow shovel up there and nothing has been moving surprisingly enough, even under heavy braking.