4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i had to use my 4x4 today in the snow and when i put it back in to 2 wheel. the part time light stays lit. when i go back in to 4 wheel the light goes off. it disengages out of 4 wheel and everything but the light goes on. my libby is confused. any suggestions?

thanks,

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Idk why he would want to leave it in 2wd in the snow. It gives you alot more control. In my neck of the woods, I cant really get anywhere without using 4wd in snow.

Its just a sensor on the tcase that goes bad. If it feels like its in 2wd, then it is. You can either change out the sensor or live with the light being on.

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i can definitely tell it's in 2 wheel when the lever is down. the system works properly the light on the other hand is confused. does anyone know what the sensor is called or how much it would cost. i probably wont be fixing it my self being that i don't have a garage and the ground is full of ice and snow.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, just leave it in 2 wheel drive and learn how to drive.

socks......when is your avitar cat gonna run outa bulletts???......j/k with ya.

BTT.......if it is just a sensor, and it is working ok, that is a good thing. I mean at least 4wd is working. I wonder how much the sensor costs and where it is located. Do you know, Blake?

Dave

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure how much it costs. I wouldnt think more than $50 though.

You must be registered for see images attach

valvestem beat me to it.

Last edited:

Signcutter21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ditto whats been already said about the light. Stupid sensor. Seems to be a "growing problem" You're maybe the 6th person Ive seen posting about this in the last few months. Just join the club. Mines been out for almost a year or so. No problems. Asked my dealer and they quoted me $75 plus labor. (about another half hours worth of work). Hence I've learned to live with it. The light finally went out in all ranges after the last wheeling trip.

later, mike

Joe W

Reaction score
I'm not sure about this but that sensor may do more than control the dash indicators......I read somewhere that in 4lo the drive-by-wire(07) throttle is different and the timing may be ******** for compression braking....also,even the 95 sonoma I used to drive had a different anti-lock brake program in 4wd so this may change braking performance...Take Care,JoeW

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I'm not sure about this but that sensor may do more than control the dash indicators......I read somewhere that in 4lo the drive-by-wire(07) throttle is different and the timing may be ******** for compression braking....also,even the 95 sonoma I used to drive had a different anti-lock brake program in 4wd so this may change braking performance...Take Care,JoeW

Good point... has anyone dug enough into the Service Manual to find out if this was true?

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

As everone will see by the specs, the T-Case sensor is quite sensitive in it's adjustments, but I see no other systems tied to the sensor.

You must be registered for see images

I see there is only one wire going to and from the sensor. This diagrams are from a 2003 service manual, ESP I don't think was available that year.

Last edited:

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me guess, you have a 2003? Only reason I mention is that I've seen it on numerous 03's. It is a bad sensor, happened on my wifes last winter. Just make sure you are completely disengaged and proceed. If you want to get rid of the light switch the sensor, otherwise use some electrical tape idea.gif

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let me guess, you have a 2003? Only reason I mention is that I've seen it on numerous 03's. It is a bad sensor, happened on my wifes last winter. Just make sure you are completely disengaged and proceed. If you want to get rid of the light switch the sensor, otherwise use some electrical tape idea.gif

The original poster did not signify his model year, I have a 2003 myself so do have the 03 SM downloaded, and retrieve info from that.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle by wire! ESP! I'm never buying a car newer than 2004...ever!

I'm going to start building my own cars!

daRock1212

Reaction score
I'm actually having the opposite problem - sometimes (~20% of the time) when I switch to Full-Time 4WD, I don't think it makes it all the way and it stays in Part-Time 4WD. It's really apparent when I'm turning at low speeds (e.g. parking) and I can feel the axles bind. Very unsettling.

It also sometimes happens when I switch down to 2WD, the axles bind. Also, the lights always read as their supposed to. Any ideas?

BTW, this forum is great, and I lurk very frequently :)

2005 Libby, Selec-Trac

sideshowant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help fellas. heres a little more info on my libby. i have a stock 05 sport with the command track system. this was the second time i used the 4x4 this year. i bought the libby used with 33,000, and now it has 56,000. the problem is only with 4 hi. with 4lo the light works properly.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle by wire! ESP! I'm never buying a car newer than 2004...ever!

I'm going to start building my own cars!

My drive by wire and ESP works just fine, thank you. Sure, I'd like the old cable style, but this is how it works.

Hell, my wife's G6 doesn't have hydraulic steering - it's got an electric assist motor on the column.