Heads-Up for Muffler Installs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to post this for any of you that have, or are eventually going to swap mufflers. This applies if you are planning to just put in a muffler and turndown right before the axle.

Here is one of the many threads about this type of muffler install:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36910

Anyway, I did install one of the Dynomax Thrush Turbo mufflers. I went with the 17718 (18" body) instead of the 17715 (12" body) because I wanted a little lower tone than the 12" can would produce.
Here are the muffler links in case you are interested:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17718/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-17715/

I also ordered the intermediate pipe to make it quick and easy to install without cutting my stock exhaust.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WLK-51002/

So anyway, I installed it with no problems. Sounded great. I initially put a make-shift hanger at the end as shown in the thread listed above, but as TJ pointed out, that was a really bad upper attachment point for a hanger. So I just removed the rear hanger because it sounded like many people never used a rear hanger with this setup.

Well, 5 months down the road, my muffler started to rattle and vibrate at around 1100-1300 RPM. It really sounded horrible. I contacted Dynomax, and although the Thrush mufflers only had a 90 day warranty, they offered to replace the muffler since it was such a premature failure. They paid to have the old muffler shipped back to them so their engineering could look at it. No Problem. Then the replacement only lasted 3 months. I called Dynomax and they again replaced the muffler quickly and without any problems. I asked about the first muffler that I had sent back to them. They looked it up and found that "The returned unit did have a leak at the head/shell connection and the factory will be advised." This is the same problem I had with the second muffler too. So when I installed the third one, I went down to the muffler shop and had them add just a single little hanger that connected to the stock exhaust grommet for 5 bucks, and it is working great. No problems now for 9 months. Just thought I would advise others so maybe you won't have to go thru the return loop like I did. The reason I was inclined to post this is because kjweston just had the same thing happen to him too.

I am sure some will say it is because the Thrush Turbo is a cheap muffler and that is why they are falling apart. I would agree that they are not the same quality of the Flowmaster Super 44 Offroad, or a Magnaflow. But, any other muffler that is a pressed/crimped together design and not a completely welded design like those top of the line ones, would have the same results. The force and vibration from having the muffler cantilevered out there will eventually cause a problem, but this is a quick, easy, and inexpensive preventative for that.

Here are some pics of my final setup:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran the Thrush Turbo muffler for almost 2 years with zero issues,no rattle at all,the exact same setup as you have minus the rear hanger and it is now under another KJ with no issues.I have since replaced it with a MagnaFlow ultra race muffler for added clearance for the SFA swap.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may have also been the difference in weight between the 12" body you had and the 18" body that I got. Who knows. But at least I can say they really stand behind their products.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the thrush turbo and it seems like usually when i start it up it makes weird noises and sounds like shit but i went down there and couldn't feel any leaking anywhere. And then noticed it wasn't making that noise. Then leaving school today i started her up and it was making that damn noise again. does this just happen with something to do with startup? or maybe just muffler choice? I don't have a rear hanger but its the 12" body so it should be fine. Any thoughts?

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing very similar to that. It would rattle every morning or when it was cooled down as I was backing out of the driveway, or sometimes when it was cold and I would be idling thru a parking lot. I could not feel any exhaust leak either, but it was definitely from the muffler. I got under there and had my son slowly rev it up to 1300 RPM. It was rattling from the muffler. Dynomax confirmed it. I had actually thought is was an internal baffle weld that had popped loose.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I should try to send it back to dynomax like you said? and I don't have the original box.. think it would be easier to just buy a new one?

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call the warranty number. Tell them what is happening. They should send you a new one out. Then if they want the old one, just pack it in the new one's box. They will send UPS a call ticket to pick it up from you. Can't hurt to call them and ask...

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah true. .so all i would have to pay for is the welding it on, new turndown and hanger this time.

Thanks man

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Muffler shop should be able to cut off your turndown and re-use it. Or order the intermediate pipe and a couple of clamps and just clamp it all together yourself like I did... Easy to do.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. I meant that I have never had any problems either. A year and a half, and mine is just fine. I have never had any exhaust accumulation or odor issues.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i guess to simplify my install ill do the same.. i orderd the flowmaster 50, and the intermediate pipe so i dont have to cut anything.. now ijust need to find a down pipe.. and two clamps

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i guess to simplify my install ill do the same.. i orderd the flowmaster 50, and the intermediate pipe so i dont have to cut anything.. now ijust need to find a down pipe.. and two clamps
You may run into issues with a big/heavy muffler like the FM 50 series,to much stress on the exhaust system.

Just have it welded in place of your OEM muffler and keep the tailpipe with it's hangers or get a smaller/lighter muffler.My muffler is like 4lbs,the FM 50 will be like 20lbs or so.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i havent noticed any odor except for the odor of oils burning off of the new muffler..

however i havent gotten ahold of a sniffer to see if there is any co2 buildup.