Newbie w/ '05 sport/renegade(ish)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThePanda

Reaction score
Well I've had my libby for about a year and a half, and the bug caught me even before I inked the contract. I've followed many forums but haven't really joined/posted. Here's a bit about the Jeep. It's an '05 sport w/ the 3.7. I managed to luck out and get a donor renegade to part for a couple $$, so it has the flat hood and grille that I LOVE!!!! all the skids, and the fenders are in the rafters waiting for line-x, I built a storage shelf for the back, and have spent way too long wrapping everything in parachord. Now, here's the ever growing list of what I want to do...

SAS and everything that comes with that (35's)
V8 H.O. Swap (thanks Honduras for such a fantastic write up)
Half Doors (Colorado in Summer)
Full Length Safari Rack (My Current Project)
Projector HIDs
HD Front and Rear Bumpers (rear w/ swing arms like RL's or Boiler's)
Snorkel
Overhead console for CB and extra storage (can never have enough)
Line-X the trim and said bumpers
and much more...

If you have any input on any of those projects, I'm happy to learn all I can before I make an inevitably costly mistake!!

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome and as far as input, guess you're maxing out those credit cards ! LOL
Good luck

read read read as far as V8 swap and SFA lots have started few have made it through

ThePanda

Reaction score
read read read as far as V8 swap and SFA lots have started few have made it through

Any SFA build thread you'd suggest? I've found mike_muse/Inc's build but it doesn't seem he was satisfied with his end result.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any SFA build thread you'd suggest? I've found mike_muse/Inc's build but it doesn't seem he was satisfied with his end result.

INCs build was a disaster from the get go, very poor build at best
he sold it without finishing it, its been through 5-6 owners since and is for sale agin now.
LOSTJEEPs has an SFA section that has many builds posted some were done right, some were , well not good at all, but some good reading .
Many try and use the stock KJ rear diff which I think is a mistake, going full widths is the best bet or JK 44s etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Other than the diffs what do you think of INC'S parts list?

They won't allow me to print that on here, but if you have to ask, quite possibly why its been for sale several times over the years . No one can get it right

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats your budget for this v8 sfa build?
Do you have a 2nd vehicle to use while you're working on the KJ?
Will you do the fab work yourself or will you outsource it?

ThePanda

Reaction score
I'm thinking about $30,000 for budget, however this particular build will be something I take my time with so it doesn't hurt all at once. This will give me time to shop around for the prefabbed parts that I'll need to buy. I do have another vehicle but it's not the most reliable, so once I start on each part of the build. I want as little downtime as possible for the Jeep. I'll do most of the fab work myself, but I'm not proud and will definitely outsource anything that I cannot do myself. Again, I'm in no hurry to get this started, but once it is the faster it's done the better...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about $30,000 for budget, however this particular build will be something I take my time with so it doesn't hurt all at once. This will give me time to shop around for the prefabbed parts that I'll need to buy. I do have another vehicle but it's not the most reliable, so once I start on each part of the build. I want as little downtime as possible for the Jeep. I'll do most of the fab work myself, but I'm not proud and will definitely outsource anything that I cannot do myself. Again, I'm in no hurry to get this started, but once it is the faster it's done the better...

30,000, ask tjkj how much he has in just his SFA. One of if not the best overall builds using the right parts etc