Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > CRD KJ's Section

Register to remove these ads.

CRD KJ's Section

Map sensor cleaning

This is a discussion on Map sensor cleaning within the CRD KJ's Section forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Cleaned my map sensor today, took it out and it was full of ...

CRD KJ's Section

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Location: mitchell south dakota from may through oct every year
Default Map sensor cleaning

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Cleaned my map sensor today, took it out and it was full of crud it was very easy to clean with carb cleaner, put a EHM on at about 15000 miles, but didn't do the ORM, until recently. The first time I cleaned the map sensor it was a hard carbon, this time it was a powdery carbon, when cleaned the sensor was orange again, it wouldn't clean that good last time. So I put in a new sensor at that time,I think a GDE tune is in the future.
How often is every one else cleaning this sensor?.
journeyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

I bought my truck with 42,000 miles. It already was running a ORM and Provent. I cleaned my sensor at that time and frankly it didnt need cleaning. If youre running the ORM you really dont need to clean it. Im going to check it again at 20,000 miles.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

I just started doing the ORM this last fall, I can't believe that the egr is putting that much back into the intake. I am going to check it again at next oil change.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have been blowing MAP codes for a few days, then the CEL goes off for a few weeks. Should I clean the sensor? Also, the mileage has dropped off a lot

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, NOT a government agency
En4cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by En4cr View Post
I have been blowing MAP codes for a few days, then the CEL goes off for a few weeks. Should I clean the sensor? Also, the mileage has dropped off a lot
I sure couldn't hurt, are you running a provent or ehm?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

No, I am not running either of those. What do I have to do to do a setup for one of those systems?

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, NOT a government agency
En4cr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Air sensors are at a minimum cleaned on my vehicle every air filter service interval.

Others items are being added to the routine that are not cited in the standard schedules to further bomb-proof this excellent truck.

It is my firm belief (somewhat qualified by experience with heavy duty machinery) that a scant preventative maintenance schedule lets these bomb-proof motors down.
Despite popular opinion, we are lucky to have the VM motor. It is the micky-mouse pollution control (penny-pinched cause they had to) and penny-pinched peripherals that let us down and these items MUST be maintained.

Many peripherals can be easily replaced with better quality units that match the high quality of this excellent power plant.
Cheers
Auberon
Auberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Auberon View Post
Air sensors are at a minimum cleaned on my vehicle every air filter service interval.

Others items are being added to the routine that are not cited in the standard schedules to further bomb-proof this excellent truck.

It is my firm belief (somewhat qualified by experience with heavy duty machinery) that a scant preventative maintenance schedule lets these bomb-proof motors down.
Despite popular opinion, we are lucky to have the VM motor. It is the micky-mouse pollution control (penny-pinched cause they had to) and penny-pinched peripherals that let us down and these items MUST be maintained.

Many peripherals can be easily replaced with better quality units that match the high quality of this excellent power plant.
Cheers
Auberon
AMEN!!! I've stated several times that taking this engine, and surrounding it with the cheap support systems that DC/Chrysler did, was akin to taking a diamond and sticking it up a goat's anal orifice. The engine itself is virtually a miniature Cummins, originally developed to survive in the marine environment.

Mitchell Oates
05 Sport CRD Stone White - more mods than I can remember or list
87 MB 300D Turbodiesel Sedan
retmil46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by journeyjim View Post
I think a GDE tune is in the future.
Dude, IMHO, you'd be well advised to stay as far away from GDE as possible - go with an Inmotion Stage II or Rocket Chip tune. For the sake of civility and not starting a flame war, I won't post here why I'd advise against them - if you'd like to know why, PM me and I'll fill you in.

Mitchell Oates
05 Sport CRD Stone White - more mods than I can remember or list
87 MB 300D Turbodiesel Sedan
retmil46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Orm

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Originally Posted by journeyjim View Post
Cleaned my map sensor today, took it out and it was full of crud it was very easy to clean with carb cleaner, put a EHM on at about 15000 miles, but didn't do the ORM, until recently. The first time I cleaned the map sensor it was a hard carbon, this time it was a powdery carbon, when cleaned the sensor was orange again, it wouldn't clean that good last time. So I put in a new sensor at that time,I think a GDE tune is in the future.
How often is every one else cleaning this sensor?.
What is the ORM? I also see EGR mentioned here. My CRD ran out of fuel and ever since, the Check Engine lite is on. I bleed the air out of the fuel filter. The engine did cough a few times as it ran out. I have 55K on it. Sounds like I have something that needs to be cleaned. I have not gone to see what the code is.
Thanks for any pointers
'73 VW Super Beetle - TOY 140HP DUAL WEBERS
Beetlemn73 is offline   Reply With Quote