Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > Lift Kit Discussion

Register to remove these ads.

Lift Kit Discussion

Confused

This is a discussion on Confused within the Lift Kit Discussion forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Register to remove these ads. It's free! Hey guys, I keep seeing you all mentioning stuff about "1.5" lift according ...

Discuss all the different types of lifts and which is right for you.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By rjkj2005
  • 2 Post By tjkj2002

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Confused

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey guys, I keep seeing you all mentioning stuff about "1.5" lift according to Australian laws"
As an Aussie, I don't understand what you are all on about. Is there a law saying we can't export more than a 1.5" lift? We certaimly lift higher than that over here. My last vehicle was a Land Rover Disvvovery 1 with a 2" spring lift and an extra 3" on the tyre size. It's not uncommon to see 7" lifted Nissan, Toyota and Jeeps over here (they have to to keep up with the Rovers) please enlighten me as to what you guys mean.

Sean
Disco95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Disco95 View Post
Hey guys, I keep seeing you all mentioning stuff about "1.5" lift according to Australian laws"
As an Aussie, I don't understand what you are all on about. Is there a law saying we can't export more than a 1.5" lift? We certaimly lift higher than that over here. My last vehicle was a Land Rover Disvvovery 1 with a 2" spring lift and an extra 3" on the tyre size. It's not uncommon to see 7" lifted Nissan, Toyota and Jeeps over here (they have to to keep up with the Rovers) please enlighten me as to what you guys mean.

Sean
From what I know talking to old man emu Rep. They advertise their springs at 1.5 inches of lift for insurance reasons. Supposably above 1.5 inches there are some liability issues with Australian insurance company's.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
LibertyTC likes this.
rjkj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

First ive heard of that. I know that there has been talk of laws keeping lifts down, but 1.5" is ridiculousl.
The standard here is a 2" spring lift, bigger tyres followed by a 2" body lift, then bigger tyres again. From there engineers need to get involved to keep things legal. If its legal, it's covered by insurance. (Depending on policy) just the same as, if the track is marked on a map, you are covered.again varies with polocies, but that is the standard..
Sean.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Disco95 View Post
First ive heard of that. I know that there has been talk of laws keeping lifts down, but 1.5" is ridiculousl.
The standard here is a 2" spring lift, bigger tyres followed by a 2" body lift, then bigger tyres again. From there engineers need to get involved to keep things legal. If its legal, it's covered by insurance. (Depending on policy) just the same as, if the track is marked on a map, you are covered.again varies with polocies, but that is the standard..
Sean.
"Legal" is not a set thing.

My KJ was 100% legal in Colorado but Illegal in say Missouri.

Just because you can buy it does not make it legal every where or at all.Many things are legally sold that are illegal to actually use on public roads.Wheel spacers and HID retrofit kits are the 2 common ones.
LibertyTC and Myke like this.
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Completely agree tjkj2002, and the laws do vary between the states here, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that more tnan 1.5" of lift is legal here without going to an engineer. As to insurance, I had no problems making a claim on above mentioned Discovery after a mishap in the bush caused some fairly significant panel damage, insurer was aware of my lift and larger tyres as those items were noted on the policy as increasing the value of the vehicle.They want to change the laws to only allow a maximum of 2" of lift in fact, there g as been much debate regarding this topic in Oz. Also if you gain engineering certification there is not much you can't do.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Keep in mind its about safety, and single vehicle or accident impact/ roll over concerns.
Longer wheel base with lift & larger tires are one thing, short wheel base lifted can = trouble in even a quick hazard and avoid or slalom situations.

Link: A Jeep rollover proves hard to understand | Autoweek

How bad can it be for the liberty, when many of us are now really 3- 4 inch lifted?

Need A Push?

Last edited by LibertyTC; 02-15-2018 at 07:32 AM.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes lane change and hazard avoidance testing is part of the engineering process on mods over here.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Been that way for years, everyone for example knows that OME 927/948 combo nets you 2.5 inches over new stock height , but can only be advertised as 1.5 inches.
Believe it or not, been told to me many times by OME/ARB reps over the years. But like here, there are laws, but some never pay any attention to them
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
...there are laws, but some never pay any attention to them
I am technically in violation down here in VA (company meeting) due to not having my offroad lights covered. That dumb law is why I waited until I was back in Ohio to do anything. The only ones I could find that came with covers were the $$$ kind. I passed through PA and MD on the way; no idea if I was a lawbreaker there as well.

Kind of wish I had gone ahead and installed a kill switch under the hood like I had planned. At least then a cop might show me leniency if I pointed out that it was impossible for me to turn them on without stopping and lifting the hood.

927/948 OME Springs*Bilstein Shocks*JBA Upper Control Arms*General Grabber AT2 255-70-16*Rage Black Widow Roof Rack*Viper 3606V Alarm System
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote