Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > How To

How To

HOW TO: Change Transfer Case Position Switch

This is a discussion on HOW TO: Change Transfer Case Position Switch within the How To forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
I just used a deep socket with 1/2" drive to remove the old one from underneath. My Liberty is an ...

In this section it explains how to do installations and modifications.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #151 (permalink)

I just used a deep socket with 1/2" drive to remove the old one from underneath. My Liberty is an 06. As mentioned previously I accessed from the back of the transfer case and had the handle pointing to the rear of the vehicle. Not much room but enough to break it free and then came out by hand. The new switch wouldn't fit in the standard depth socket so I had to get the deep well. It worked fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
profdlp likes this.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:00 PM   #152 (permalink)

Would you guys lean more towards the position switch or the motor? I'm working on a friend's 2010 Liberty Sport 4X4. The 4 Low light just flashers. He's pretty broke, so I can't shotgun parts until it works...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
hazmatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #153 (permalink)

Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
So... it would seem anyone saying they have changed out this switch in under 10 minutes are prone to hyperbole, no matter if they went from the top or underneath (I did both). Even if all the planets were aligned, someone had done this many times before, and nothing went wrong while doing it, I really don't think you could do this in 10 minutes. That said, it's not too difficult, it should just be noted that 10 minutes is certainly an exaggeration.
Well, it took me 11 minutes the first time. I imagine it would take 5 minutes if I ever had to do it again now that I know that shifting into 4Lo makes it much easier.

I explain in this thread how I did it:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-change-t-case-position-sensor-quick-method-under-vehicle-51959/
Old 08-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #154 (permalink)

Originally Posted by hazmatmonkey View Post
Would you guys lean more towards the position switch or the motor? I'm working on a friend's 2010 Liberty Sport 4X4. The 4 Low light just flashers. He's pretty broke, so I can't shotgun parts until it works...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Completely different t-case...so I'm going to guess it's not the switch.

-OME927 springs/90009 shocks, 3/8 inches of top plate, conduits, and JBA UCAs in the front. JBA 4" springs/Monroe Load Levelers in the rear.
-LT265/70/16 Hankook Dynapro ATM, Load Range D2
-Magnaflow Muffler
-Sport 4x4 Hood Decal, Graphite Jeep Hood Emblem (Woo!)
-Altezza Tail Lights, all LED bulbs and load resistors, LED third tail light
-IRO UCA w/ Iron Forge Customs bracket
dude1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #155 (permalink)

Ok, my 05 Jeep Liberty Renegade started doing the light on out of 4x4 mode and light on when in of 4x4 awhile back. Not wanting to pay the fee that Chrysler was wanting, I unplugged it. Fast forward a year or two and I found a switch on Rock Auto for $37. Bought it, installed it and didn't work at all, no lights through any of the 4x4 ranges. Removed the switch and on pressing the little button, lights all worked as I slowly pressed the button on the switch. Stick my finger in the hole where the switch goes and I can feel the part moving that presses on the switch as I move it through the ranges. Any ideas? Renegade have a different switch? Just the wrong part?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
SirRonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:25 AM   #156 (permalink)

Same thing initially happened to me when I installed it. After installing it, start up the engine, move the 4x4 lever and the shifter through all the positions (don't worry about the light not working at this point), then get it back into 2WD and Park, turn off the engine.
When you turn it on again, it should work.

I think what happens is that when you install it, the new switch is not automatically in the same position as the transfer case. The transfer case is (for example) in 2WD, while the new switch is (for example) in the 4WD High position. Moving it through all the positions and then turning off the vehicle seems to basically reset it.
profdlp and stumpjumper like this.
Royy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #157 (permalink)

Just adding images from my 2006 CRD. You cant use a socket on the switch it's to fair inside the shift housing. So vise grips or wrench are the only options.

Back View

Front View
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRD.TF.Case.Switch.jpg (94.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg CRD.TF.Case.Switch.1.jpg (94.5 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Supreme; 10-15-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Supreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #158 (permalink)

Thumbs up No need to bother replacing transfer case position switch...Here's why.

I just took my 2003 Jeep Liberty into the dealer to have a malfunctioning transfer case position switch replaced. No need to do it yourself. This part has a recall on it. They replaced the part and did the labor for free. If you have a 2002 or 2003 Jeep Liberty you should be able to have this done under the recall for free.
lightfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:48 PM   #159 (permalink)

Originally Posted by Supreme View Post
Just adding images from my 2006 CRD. You cant use a socket on the switch it's to fair inside the shift housing. So vise grips or wrench are the only options.
Hey @Supreme...were you able to do this on your CRD? If so, please respond with pointers. I found I couldn't get a deep well socket on there from above, so I bought a shallow. I was able to get it on, but couldn't get any torque on it due to the angle (even using an elbow). I tried looking from below...there's no gap to reach through from behind (as others have suggested). I'm starting to think that on a CRD the entire T-case has to be removed just to swap out this sensor!
mmindenhall is offline   Reply With Quote