Go Back   Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country > Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) > How To

How To

CV axle

This is a discussion on CV axle within the How To forums, part of the Jeep Liberty - KJ (02 to 07) category!
Ok so I just had a guy replace my driver side CV axle & a week later it fell out. ...

In this section it explains how to do installations and modifications.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CV axle

Ok so I just had a guy replace my driver side CV axle & a week later it fell out. Can someone please tell me what he may have done wrong or neglected to do??
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it fell out of the diff he likely left the snap ring out. He probably thought he'd have to open the diff to do it right, but it pushes in and locks in place from the outside.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you
Weezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I need to replace outer boot or complete cv shaft on front right. How do I disconnect axle at differential? I have climbed all over the front replacing the hub, the upper control arm, lower ball joint, etc. Just can't see how the cv axle disconnects from the axle housing.

Also, I had to drop the factory skid plate to remove the rack & pinion to replace the mount bushings, when I did that I noticed that the rear nuts for the skid plate, inside the crossmember, were loose, not fixed/welded to the inside of the crossmember, no access holes to put a wrench on the nut, how do I hold nut to tighten them back?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Originally Posted by grasshopperkj View Post
I need to replace outer boot or complete cv shaft on front right. How do I disconnect axle at differential? I have climbed all over the front replacing the hub, the upper control arm, lower ball joint, etc. Just can't see how the cv axle disconnects from the axle housing.

Also, I had to drop the factory skid plate to remove the rack & pinion to replace the mount bushings, when I did that I noticed that the rear nuts for the skid plate, inside the crossmember, were loose, not fixed/welded to the inside of the crossmember, no access holes to put a wrench on the nut, how do I hold nut to tighten them back?
Remove not from wheel bearing, remove the spindle ( or I do since its simple and get it out of the way ) Some only remove one ball joint , but pull CV out, most times intermediate shaft comes out as well. Replace both, do not replace one or the other

Depends on how skid was put on, should be rivnuts in the cross member, ( hate the things never use them to attach skids ).
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

tommudd thanks, I found my Chilton and it said to "pry" the shaft off with a pry bar or large screwdriver, similar to what you are saying, to pull it off. Sounds easy enough.

These are the factory skid plates, and when I went to remove the front one under the front diff, rack & pinion, etc. the bolt came loose from the nut inside the crossmember and then they both just started spinning. With no way to get a wrench on the nut inside the crossmember I can't tighten them back down. I guess they were fixed to the inside of the crossmember at some time? Just trying to figure out best way to reattach skid plates securely.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

So, when I pried right side cv axle shaft away from axle housing it pulled the axle shaft out of the axle housing, don't think it's supposed to. Do I have to open diff housing to properly seat the axle shaft via the snap ring? Popped right out, won't snap right back in.
grasshopperkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Originally Posted by grasshopperkj View Post
So, when I pried right side cv axle shaft away from axle housing it pulled the axle shaft out of the axle housing, don't think it's supposed to. Do I have to open diff housing to properly seat the axle shaft via the snap ring? Popped right out, won't snap right back in.
Perfectly normal since most do not grease the splines. intermediate rusts solid to the CV.
Put the new , yes new do not use the old intermediate, put it in then the CV, very simple
I've changed more than 35-40 never had tom pry one out
grasshopperkj likes this.
04 Kilimanjaro Edition
4.5 INCH JBA LIFT/ 32s/4.10s/ etc
03 OVERLAND EDITION, Timberline Green Pearlcoat, JBA 2.5 inch Total Control Lift, Kilby gas tank skid, Skid Row, 4XGuard mixture, MOABs, 265-70-16s, 4.10s, Mudds bumper
05 Limited/stock for now
tommudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Perfectly normal since most do not grease the splines. intermediate rusts solid to the CV.
Put the new , yes new do not use the old intermediate, put it in then the CV, very simple
I've changed more than 35-40 never had tom pry one out
So, I need to buy a new axleshaft too?
grasshopperkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Am I gonna have to crack diff to get axle to snap back in, currently won't snap back in by just pushing it in.