Rack & pinion question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I've been told that to remove & replace a rack & pinion mounting bushing, I have to completely remove the r&p assembly. Really? 2003 Liberty 3.7 V6.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You do need to undo the hard lines on the rack and rotate it up. Although the bushings could be seized in the rack.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Makes sense when I see how it's attached to the frame for below. Can't knock it out otherwise if necessary. I know there's a metal center sleeve in it but couldn't I carefully cut/split it to get it out from the top side?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
To get it out you could do that if it's not seized in there. Getting it in you'd either have to do the same thing or rotate the rack.

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the metal sleeve what a flat end on the bottom about an inch wide. It has to go out the bottom.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was able to unbolt the rack, TREs, steering shaft, and oil drip tray and then used a looong screwdriver and hammer it out from top of the engine bay. The rack moved enough to position the bushings so they hung over the cross member. No need to remove any lines.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is the Napa part # identical to Mopar in quality.
61523[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I've done mine 3 times now, and used a little dish soap to help press them back in.

Attachments

• IOdFv9L.jpg
    IOdFv9L.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 0

[email protected]

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to all y'all for your advice. I'm not a skilled mechanic but I've done a lot of basic work on my KJ myself. I'll give it a try. A local shop with ASE techs quoted me $740.92 to replace both of them.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I undid the rack mounting bolts only and had enough room to swap the bushing. It wasn't in there especially tight. Took about an hour total, maybe less.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been wondering if this is causing my wondering issues... The Jeep drives itself when cruising down the road. No noises though.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive been wondering if this is causing my wondering issues... The Jeep drives itself when cruising down the road. No noises though.

Also check the rear tri-link bushings and the rear lower control arm bushings if it isn't the rack bushings.

An easy way to check the rack bushings is have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and see if the rack moves.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When my rack bushings went I'd get a clunk when I'd turn the steering wheel. You could feel it in the steering wheel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

If you punch it and it pulls one way and when you let off the gas it sort of goes the other way its the rear lower control arms