Pinion Bearing is out. Salvaged or Rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaneOK

Reaction score
My pinion bearing has gone out. The jeep has 198k on it. I've looked into rebuilding the Chrysler 8.25 and it seems a little daunting, I haven't totally ruled it out. I took the rear cover off, everything seems fine except for the fact that the pinion has some up and down play.

I found a salvaged axle for $450 (which seems high) out of a 2006 liberty with 80k miles, it's about an hour and a half away from me. I have found quite a few 02-05's but I'm told they may not be compatible is this true?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What year is yours again?

Put your year etc in sig line so its easier to know what you have, ...please ....ha ha

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pinion bearing has gone out. The jeep has 198k on it. I've looked into rebuilding the Chrysler 8.25 and it seems a little daunting, I haven't totally ruled it out. I took the rear cover off, everything seems fine except for the fact that the pinion has some up and down play.

I found a salvaged axle for $450 (which seems high) out of a 2006 liberty with 80k miles, it's about an hour and a half away from me. I have found quite a few 02-05's but I'm told they may not be compatible is this true?

You'd be looking at $700-$800 to have a shop fix the pinion bearing,could end up much higher depending on what it all really needs so $450 for a lower mileage complete rear diff is not that bad.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd just put a new one in. Half the price and can be a driveway swap.

LaneOK

Reaction score
look on car-part.com for a salvage rear end. it is the national junk yard parts inventory site.

Thanks, I tried this earlier but was not getting results. Apparently I wasn't doing it right because it has some listed now, looks like you may have save me $100.

LaneOK

Reaction score
Okay, what do you guys think? Used axle with 127k miles for $250 or 81k miles for $350. My jeep has 198k on it.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, what do you guys think? Used axle with 127k miles for $250 or 81k miles for $350. My jeep has 198k on it.

Can you visually inspect each one? A lot can happen in 46k miles, although not usually to a rear axle.

I guess if all things are equal, and neither is in better shape than the other, and you won't miss that $100, I'd tend to always go with the lower mileage part. But if the 81k mile axle looks beat to piss and is rusty and dented diff cover, etc... just looks rough, while the other looks clean and shows signs that the fluid had been changed before (look for new(er) sealant around the diff cover), then I'd pick the higher mileage part.

TL;DR

It depends.....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd go with the 80k one unless something is visibly wrong with it (leaking or bent). $100 is worth it to get the lower mileage I think.

No one changes diff fluid besides like .0001% of the population.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front diff for $150, and my rear for 160 a few months ago. Found them off Craigslist. Had 98k miles on them.

LaneOK

Reaction score
Can you visually inspect each one? A lot can happen in 46k miles, although not usually to a rear axle.

I guess if all things are equal, and neither is in better shape than the other, and you won't miss that $100, I'd tend to always go with the lower mileage part. But if the 81k mile axle looks beat to piss and is rusty and dented diff cover, etc... just looks rough, while the other looks clean and shows signs that the fluid had been changed before (look for new(er) sealant around the diff cover), then I'd pick the higher mileage part.

TL;DR

It depends.....

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I went with the higher mileage axle. The other one had heavy damage to the driver side rear, not sure if it would've affected it or not.

Removing the old axle and putting the new one in wasn't too bad. I've changed fuel injectors in my LB7 Duramax so that's kind of my benchmark for difficulty.

All the driving around to trailer the jeep home and go get the salvaged axle was time consuming. I think I spent about 5 hours on the actual swap. It could've gone faster if I would've had help putting the new one in or if I hadn't taken the time to paint it first.

Again, thanks to everyone.