Noisy p/s pump - foaming - leak - Cardone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Liberty - noticed fluid at the outside bottom of the reservoir, and looks very much like it's coming from between the pump and reservoir. Cleaned it off and Im going to see if I can tell exactly where the fluid is coming from, because it drips a bit onto the high pressure line and that is wet also. Previous owner had high pressure line and oem pump replaced with this A1 Cardone.
Ive never had much luck with A1 Cardone products. Are these pumps prone to leaks between the reservoir and pump? Thanks.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003 Liberty - noticed fluid at the outside bottom of the reservoir, and looks very much like it's coming from between the pump and reservoir. Cleaned it off and Im going to see if I can tell exactly where the fluid is coming from, because it drips a bit onto the high pressure line and that is wet also. Previous owner had high pressure line and oem pump replaced with this A1 Cardone.
Ive never had much luck with A1 Cardone products. Are these pumps prone to leaks between the reservoir and pump? Thanks.

Yes. Happened to me. Took a few tries with different size o-rings to get mine to seal. I even swapped the OE reservoir onto the Cardone pump and still leaked, so I think it was the machining of the pump where the reservoir plugs into it. Been fine for well over a year now. I've used lots of Cardone stuff and can't remember having many problems.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems better now that I purged the air

I purged out a lot of air bubbles, and then added a little fluid (was at the cold minimum when Jeep was warmed up). Drove it, and its MUCH better! Don't think the steering has been this quiet since my son bought it. Guessing whoever put the pump on may not have purged the air too well.
We'll see when it gets colder.
Thanks for the info., I may try to replace the o-ring if it keeps leaking.

tomrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noisy again

I was thinking of trying Blue Devil Power Steering Stop Leak before I pull the reservoir off and replace the o-ring.
Anyone try it? It has mostly good reviews.
Also, can the reservoir be removed to replace the o-ring with the pump still installed on the vehicle?

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying Blue Devil Power Steering Stop Leak before I pull the reservoir off and replace the o-ring.
Anyone try it? It has mostly good reviews.
Also, can the reservoir be removed to replace the o-ring with the pump still installed on the vehicle?

Never tried the stop leak stuff. I don't have much faith in that stuff. I removed the pump completely to replace the o-ring. I think you would have to completely remove it or it would be very awkward and probably quite messy.